Home » Audio » Craftsmen » First try at paper-backed veneer
First try at paper-backed veneer [message #29579] Wed, 24 August 2005 04:04 Go to next message
Bill Epstein is currently offline  Bill Epstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Brand name Flex-Wood. Should be called Photo-Wood, the veneer layer is that thin. There is also a tendency for the paper to get trapped under the router bit and fuse to the adjacent surface. The cure is to cut the leafs closer to exact size than otherwise.
That's the bad news.
The good news is it's in 4x8 sheets (no seaming), doesn't curl when wet and cuts like butter.
In another departure from my traditional ways I used, shudder, contact adhesive. Several pro cabinet makers I know use nothing else and turn out really high-end work. The possibility of direct sunlight causing bubbles or solvents bleeding thru the paper are so remote they discount it entirely.
3 hours to veneer a pair of 2 Pi Towers and no clamps! Good-bye hide and resin glue.

Re: First try at paper-backed veneer [message #29580 is a reply to message #29579] Sat, 27 August 2005 11:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wunhuanglo is currently offline  wunhuanglo
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Is the paper used to consolidate/strengthen the veneer? It's the intermediate layer between the contact cement and the veneer itself?

Re: First try at paper-backed veneer [message #29581 is a reply to message #29580] Sun, 28 August 2005 03:20 Go to previous message
Bill Epstein is currently offline  Bill Epstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Yeah, when you first take it out of the box you think it's just slippery paper; no wood. The thick paper layer really keeps the glue away from the wood. I had 2 little areas where the Contact cement bled thru.
I used my veneer saw to cut it but prolly a razor knife would do well. No tear out on the cuts at all. Roll a coat of glue on the MDF and wait 10 minutes, then roll a second coat and one on the paper. Ten minutes later place it, remove the spacer sticks and "iron" it down with a piece of 2x4 and trim. Go on to the next side.

Previous Topic: 2 pi tower baffles
Next Topic: Bill and Bill...
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 16 01:58:56 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout