Home » Audio » Craftsmen » Sears Craftsman Tool Quality?
Sears Craftsman Tool Quality? [message #29545] Thu, 07 July 2005 14:29 Go to next message
GarMan is currently offline  GarMan
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
I have no experience with Sears Craftsman and would like to know how they compare quality-wise with other national brands. I'm looking to get a portable table/bench saw this month and the brands that I have experience with (Dewalt, PorterCable, Bosch) are all out of my price range.

I've narrowed by choices down to three models, all similar in price and spec: 10" saw with stand and table extensions from Skil, Delta, and Craftsman. There's a $50 spread between the cheapest (Skil) and most expensive (Craftsman). Any thoughts or recommendations on these brands would be appreciated.

Gar.

Re: Sears Craftsman Tool Quality? [message #29546 is a reply to message #29545] Thu, 07 July 2005 14:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BillEpstein is currently offline  BillEpstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Which models? The smallest Skil is not bad at all for 100 bucks.
What really counts with all these little saws is the fence. Go to each dealer and move the fences around and then measure from the fence to the front and then the rear of the blade. Repeat and repeat to check the adjustability.
My Ryobi=on-wheels has an amazingly good fence. As do all the Ryobi's except the hundred buck one.
The other biggie is whether it will turn a full thick (1/8") blade in maple or more importantly, a 3/4" dado blade in MDF. And it needn't do that all day long.

Model Numbers [message #29547 is a reply to message #29546] Thu, 07 July 2005 15:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Here are the models:

Craftsman 10 in. Table Saw with Dust Collection System and Casters
Mfr. model #24883
http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?BV_UseBVCookie=Yes&vertical=TOOL&pid=00924883000&subcat=Table+Saws

Delta Tools 10 in. Table Saw with Stand
Mfr. model #TS220LS
http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?BV_UseBVCookie=Yes&vertical=TOOL&pid=00923516000&subcat=Table+Saws

Skil 10 In. Tabletop Saw Inc.
Model 3400-12
http://www.homedepot.com/prel80/HDUS/EN_US/diy_main/pg_diy.jsp?CNTTYPE=PROD_META&CNTKEY=SuperFeatures2/Miscellaneous/PM_Affiliate_Landing_Page_2005&BV_SessionID=@@@@1350436674.1120770602@@@@&BV_EngineID=ccecaddfdkfjhifcgelceffdfgidgjk.0&cm_ven=CJ&cm_cat=46157&cm_ite=Homepage&cm_pla=46157&aid=10368102&pid=46157&sid=ebs133356635sbe&cj=1

Strange to see the Porter and Delta brands on the same item at HD. Here in Canada, the two brands are kept separate.

Re: Features for $100 [message #29548 is a reply to message #29547] Thu, 07 July 2005 17:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BillEpstein is currently offline  BillEpstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
"What is the Sears?"
They all have 15 amp DD motors, fairly flat tables and accuruate T-slots. Skil have notoriusly bad fences, Deltas are cheesy and Sears has a reputation at the point of sale.
Do try the fence then get the Sears.

Re: Features for $100 [message #29549 is a reply to message #29548] Fri, 08 July 2005 07:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Guess I'll go visit some stores this weekend with my combo square in hand.

Re: Features for $100 [message #29550 is a reply to message #29549] Fri, 08 July 2005 14:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
colinhester is currently offline  colinhester
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
GarMan, Have you ever considered buying used? There are a lot of weekend warriors out there that over buy. In the last two weeks I've seen a high-end Grizzly and Jet in the local "Trading Post" go for about 75% off retail. If I can get my wife to make some room in the garage, that's certainly the way I'm going. Also might look for a woodworker's club nearby and see if someone is wanting to upgrade saws.......Colin

PS. You might look on Amazon and see if you can find the company that sells bolt-on tops for contractor saws. This gives you the ability to increase work area and add upgrade fences at a fraction of the cost. I'm sorry I don't have the company's name in front of me, but I would be more than happy to look, if you wish......

Re: Features for $100 [message #29551 is a reply to message #29550] Sun, 10 July 2005 12:55 Go to previous message
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
I've been keeping my eyes out for several weeks and the saw that come up tend to fall into two categories: i) contractor or cabinet saws which I don't have space for, and ii) small bench saws with not accessories.

The pricing for the small bench saws are very good at first look, but when you add the cost of aftermarket items like a stand, decent fence, side and rear extension, I might as well buy a new saw that comes bundled with all these things.

All this is moot now. I just bought a Craftsman Job-Site saw yesterday at Sears with a one day $250 discount. Regular price $699. Everything I was looking for and then some. Big saw, but comes with a collapsable stand with wheels. 4.4 hp, side and rear extension, and rear dust port. Pick it up on Wed.

Gar.

Previous Topic: What kind of wood are they using at Walmart?
Next Topic: What's wrong with Ash?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 18 22:13:36 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout