Home » Audio » Craftsmen » What kind of wood are they using at Walmart?
What kind of wood are they using at Walmart? [message #29536] Tue, 28 June 2005 15:08 Go to next message
GarMan is currently offline  GarMan
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
I was strolling through a Walmart and notices that some of the furniture they were selling are solid wood. I have no idea what kind of wood they're using but it can't be American hardwood because the material alone would cost more than twice the piece itself. All the pieces are stained so dark that you can't see any of the grain. But it's definately not pine either.

So what are these pieces made of?

Re: What kind of wood are they using at Walmart? [message #29537 is a reply to message #29536] Wed, 29 June 2005 14:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
elektratig is currently offline  elektratig
Grand Master
Garman,

I don't know, but if it's really hardwood I'll guess it's poplar. AFAIK, poplar is the cheapest standard hardwood. There's nothing wrong with it except that it's not a great looking wood. It really has to be painted or heavily stained. On its own, it often tends to have a slightly greenish tinge to it. Poplar was the wood my instructor suggested we get when we were experimenting in my "Woodworking 101" class.

Re: What kind of wood are they using at Walmart? [message #29538 is a reply to message #29537] Wed, 29 June 2005 15:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BillEpstein is currently offline  BillEpstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Most of the furniture at the Big Boxes is from S.E. Asia and reflects their native woods. That's good because the Luan and other "cheap" species from there is quite dense and durable.
Google walmart wood species and find this and more:

Re: What kind of wood are they using at Walmart? [message #29539 is a reply to message #29538] Wed, 29 June 2005 16:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Cool link Bill, thanks!

Dense and durable [message #29540 is a reply to message #29538] Wed, 29 June 2005 22:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wunhuanglo is currently offline  wunhuanglo
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Speaking of which, have you ever run into epe or maybe ipe?

Something else - hard, tough like bubinga. Essentially weather proof. Very pretty mahogany looking. Comes in dimensional lumber - saw a dock built out of it at some millionaire's house - they put it out in the ocean raw, no finish.

EePay (wuz Dense and durable) [message #29541 is a reply to message #29540] Sat, 02 July 2005 21:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Poindexter is currently offline  Poindexter
Viscount
I've used it extensively.  Dense and durable it is.  It will also eat your blades alive and tox you into your effing grave.

They sell it premilled as deck wood; no milling, only end cutting and making bisquit pockets for the specialized (plastic; separating spacers at the ends and screw hole in the middle) bisquits.

My contractor decided he wanted stuff milled out of this stuff.  I start a dark mustard/ochre/brown piece through the saw, and this roostertail of bright chartreuse dust comes up from the cut.  I'm wearing the mask and goggles, and within ten seconds my nose and eyes are burning, itching . . . any of you turkey necks ever sneeze three times inside the mask?  Euw!

Hard, dense, variable in color and character, abrasive to blades, okay but generally bland in appearance, toxic, unstable, difficult to glue, de Poinz hate it.

Amen,

E.

Re: What kind of wood are they using at Walmart? [message #29544 is a reply to message #29537] Mon, 04 July 2005 07:36 Go to previous message
GarMan is currently offline  GarMan
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
There's a place in town that sells poplar as whitewood and puts a 15% premium on it. And people buy it!

Previous Topic: Harbor Freight
Next Topic: Sears Craftsman Tool Quality?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 14:51:00 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio