Home » Audio » Craftsmen » What was it ?
What was it ? [message #29484] Wed, 04 May 2005 20:42 Go to next message
Bill Martinelli is currently offline  Bill Martinelli
Illuminati (1st Degree)

OK all you sharp tacks out there! Care to take a guess at this one?
There is a specific name for this tool although it was somewhat similar to another well known tool.

My mother had one of these [message #29485 is a reply to message #29484] Wed, 04 May 2005 21:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dean Kukral is currently offline  Dean Kukral
Master
Her father used to build fences, and during THE WAR she worked for him part-time because the men were all off fighting (I was very young). This tool is to check the plumbnity of a fence post. If the post was not plumb, the offset ball would rotate a bit. She used to take me along, and I would happily watch for hours as they put up fences.

The divisions are for when the plumbnity of a larger machine was being checked (they were not needed for fence posts, of course). Then, one needed to know exactly how much correction was needed. While it is only divided into three degree increments, verniers were used to get accuracy to one fourth of a degree.

It is amazing what you can find on the internet, isn't it!

An inclinometer? [message #29487 is a reply to message #29484] Thu, 05 May 2005 12:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wunhuanglo is currently offline  wunhuanglo
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
If it's not, is should be.

And, the winner is... [message #29490 is a reply to message #29484] Thu, 05 May 2005 19:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (1st Degree)

Mr Lo, or ehm Huang, which ever it is you are.

The tool is indeed an Inclinometer. This one caught my eye since it was less resembling of just an improved level which many of the other makers derived their products in design. The inclinometer, also helped lead to other developments with builder’s levels and transits.

This tool was made by the Patent Level Company.

"The Patent Level Company - was located in Bridgeport, Connecticut according to the stamp on the base of the level. To date, however, no other record of the existence of this company has been found. The patent date - May 8, 1866 - corresponds to the date on which a patent was granted to Andrew. J. Vandergrift of Cincinnati, OH, for an "Improvement in Spirit Levels." "

Re: And, the winner is... [message #29491 is a reply to message #29490] Thu, 05 May 2005 20:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Master
It looked like a quartz ball in the center. How did it work? It is easy to see the markings, but I could see no dial or other indicator.

Re: And, the winner is... [message #29492 is a reply to message #29491] Thu, 05 May 2005 20:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (1st Degree)

Dean,

It's really a bad picture of the tool thats the problem.

Check out this site for some nice info on level's and kin

I remember now! [message #29494 is a reply to message #29492] Fri, 06 May 2005 15:37 Go to previous message
Master
My mother's DID used to have fluid in it. That was a long time ago.

Previous Topic: You need this:
Next Topic: A money-saving tip from your Aunti- Poly
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 03:48:55 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout