Home » Audio » Craftsmen » What was it ?
What was it ? [message #29475] Wed, 27 April 2005 20:05 Go to next message
Bill Martinelli is currently offline  Bill Martinelli
Illuminati (1st Degree)

Today trivia question is "what was it" name the pictured hand tool and its use.

My mother had one of these [message #29476 is a reply to message #29475] Wed, 27 April 2005 20:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dean Kukral is currently offline  Dean Kukral
Master
She used it to make ravioli. The dough goes in one side and is pushed along. It comes out the other side flat. I spent many happy hours as a child watching her make ravioli, in anticipation of a really good supper.

Re: What was it ? [message #29477 is a reply to message #29475] Wed, 27 April 2005 20:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GarMan is currently offline  GarMan
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Miter plane?

Re: A miter trimmer? [message #29478 is a reply to message #29475] Thu, 28 April 2005 06:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wunhuanglo is currently offline  wunhuanglo
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
before they came up with the lever action guillotine?

Now that I look at it again ... [message #29479 is a reply to message #29475] Thu, 28 April 2005 12:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GarMan is currently offline  GarMan
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
I might have seen it used at a deli to slice pepperoni sticks at an angle.

Re: Rogers Miter Plane [message #29480 is a reply to message #29475] Thu, 28 April 2005 20:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bill Martinelli is currently offline  Bill Martinelli
Illuminati (1st Degree)

Well, What smart bunch o fellas. Yes indeed It was first used as a guillotine until shortly after the demise of Anne Boleyn 1536. It was then used as a peperoni slicer but when the head cook lost a finger tip circa 1650 the device was relegated to a simple ravioli stuffer. In the late 1800's when the Miller Falls company had other ideas.

read on......

"During the 1880s, Millers Falls' affiliation with the Langdon Mitre Box Company began to pay dividends in the form of new products. On September 19, 1882, David C. Rogers was issued patent no. 264,766 for what was to become known as the Rogers miter planer. Manufactured by Langdon and available through the Millers Falls Company, the Rogers miter planer, a deluxe shootboard with a semi-circular frame, was capable of delivering an almost flawless trim of angle cuts on mating pieces of stock. The tool, which cut on both the push and pull strokes, would soon become a favorite of picture framers who valued its versatility, accuracy and economy of motion. The miter planer was capable more sophisticated work, however. Two adjustable, lockable guides on its rotating bed plate provided rests which allowed for the precision trimming of the wedge-shaped pieces used to fabricate cylindrical and oval-shaped forms in patternmaker's shops. The Rogers miter planer was popular enough to remain in the Millers Falls catalog for over four decades."

What I meant by guillotine was... [message #29481 is a reply to message #29480] Fri, 29 April 2005 00:32 Go to previous message
wunhuanglo is currently offline  wunhuanglo
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
this....

Previous Topic: Are there any deals on router bits on the internet?
Next Topic: barbecued bits
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 18:03:54 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout