Home » Audio » Craftsmen » barbecued bits
Unrelated, but I was impressed [message #29473 is a reply to message #29469] Tue, 26 April 2005 03:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wunhuanglo is currently offline  wunhuanglo
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
I had a job in a US Gov't metallurgical laboratory when I was in school. They had a bench-mounted belt sander - very old and beautiful cast iron machine. The sander was vented into a 4" galvanized smokepipe vacuum line that ran up the wall about 10 feet then overhead about 40 feet until you lost sight of it.

One day I decided to put an edge on a knife using the belt sander. What I didn't know is that the guy who generally worked in that lab used the belt sander exclusively for magnesium.

All across the ceiling the bottom of the tin pipe glowed a brilliant orange - very impressive. Zinc dripped like condensation onto the floor. Ooops.

Re: You might be in a Catch-22 [message #29474 is a reply to message #29472] Tue, 26 April 2005 10:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GarMan is currently offline  GarMan
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
I think my local HD rent routers, but you have to supply your own bits.

If you're routing MDF in your apartment, be careful of the dust. Breathing that stuff in can't be good for you. I love the workability of MDF, but the dust it generates is a real pain. Sticks to plastic surface like iron filling to a magnet.

Re: Smokey the Bear, says "How True, Mr. Lo" [message #29482 is a reply to message #29467] Sat, 30 April 2005 23:07 Go to previous message
lon is currently offline  lon
Illuminati (2nd Degree)

What's HSS anyways?

Anyway I am back in this thread because I did touch up up my
one bit with some 100 sandpaper and it looks smoothe and shiney
again.

I am not ready to spend $16 on a Porter Cable bit for this job.
Gotta try it with what I have again.

And I rechucked the thing to about half of the total
3/8 in cut and will make 2 passes.

Previous Topic: What was it ?
Next Topic: You need this:
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Apr 24 19:53:31 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio