Home » Audio » Craftsmen » New glue for easy veneering
New glue for easy veneering [message #29441] Sat, 09 April 2005 13:27 Go to next message
Bill Martinelli is currently offline  Bill Martinelli
Illuminati (1st Degree)

I have not tried this yet but just read about it and for a lot of people this method works well with no investment in equipment.

Its a glue calle "Heat Lock" developed for veneering with an iron. Forming a ridgid glue line and fast set up. Ready to be machined the same day.

www.veneersupplies.com
sells the product, under adhesives,BetterBond Heat-Lock Gallon

The better bond web sit just has a link to some good tips right now.

Re: New glue for easy veneering [message #29443 is a reply to message #29441] Sat, 09 April 2005 16:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BillEpstein is currently offline  BillEpstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Saw this praised on Joe the wood something and there was a hint among the Paeans (look it up) about splitting from the heat unlocking moisture.
Who's gonna try it first?
I just bought a truckload of PPR last week. Hah!

Re: New glue for easy veneering [message #29444 is a reply to message #29443] Sat, 09 April 2005 20:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (1st Degree)

My song is, use lower heat. As low so its just really warm. The hot iron cab be a spoiler

Re: New glue for easy veneering [message #29449 is a reply to message #29441] Mon, 11 April 2005 07:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GarMan is currently offline  GarMan
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Thanks Bill. This is exactly what I was looking for.

Questions on using Glue [message #29454 is a reply to message #29441] Tue, 12 April 2005 08:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GarMan is currently offline  GarMan
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
I read Joe's page in more detail and a couple of questions came up:

Why would seaming be impossible with this glue? Can I not just tape the sheets up, apply glue and then iron?

Also, it sounds like water-based dye is not recommended. Does this mean that the glue can dissolve when it comes in contact with water, regardless of how long it's been cured?

gar.

Re: Questions on using Glue [message #29455 is a reply to message #29454] Wed, 13 April 2005 21:13 Go to previous message
Illuminati (1st Degree)

I have not read Joes page in a while or his page on this glue if there is one.

I dont see why the veneers cant be taped with quality veneer tape and then ironed down as described.

White glue is considered weakest glue for holding up to moisture and plenty of peopl apply water based dye after using white glue.

Sorry I dont have a real answer for you. more investigation with the people who are making the claims might be in order. The claims dont make a lot of sense to me

bill

Previous Topic: Tung Oil - How to?
Next Topic: saw purchasing
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 23 03:36:16 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers