Home » Audio » Craftsmen » Tung Oil - How to?
Tung Oil - How to? [message #29436] Fri, 08 April 2005 12:30 Go to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I made a little sign for GPAF and I'm wiping tung oil on it to finish it. So I want to hear from the experts if I'm doing it right.

What I did was to ask Brad to give me a piece of scrap walnut from one of the midhorns, and I took it to a CNC shop to cut my logo into it. I put a sheet of adhesive plastic on it as a mask and had them cut through that so I could paint the letters silver. Then I peeled off the mask to expose the walnut, and I'm rubbing tung oil into it. I thought it might be a good practice for me, since the only time I ever used tung oil was for touch up. This time, I wanted to see what uyou guys do to finish something properly.

It's like wiping on vegetable oil or something, almost like water. I just use a cloth and wipe the stuff on in a very thin coat. I watch the reflection at an angle to see when the coat is uniform, then I go away for a few minutes. Maybe ten or fifteen minutes later, I come back and do it again.

The first coat darkened the grain a little, just like I had moistened it with water. But the grain absorbs it and makes it look like you haven't done anything except darken it a tad. It took probably 20 coats before I could even tell it was holding a finish. Now it's starting to get a little shiny, but it seems like it will take 100 coats like this. That's no problem, it's easy, I just wipe it on. It's no more difficult than wiping a counter with a sponge. I rub it in a little, but it isn't like polishing a car or anything, it's more like just wiping it on.

Is that what I'm supposed to do? It looks good, but is this the way tung oil is generally used?

Re:Put de lime in de coconut............ [message #29437 is a reply to message #29436] Fri, 08 April 2005 15:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BillEpstein is currently offline  BillEpstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
......and call me in de mornin'...............
Flood the durface and let sit for 20 minutes then wipe off the excess until the rag slides easily. Let dry overnight. Flood the surface and let sit for 20 minuts, etc........
Wax it.
The end!
Or...........

Thanks! [message #29438 is a reply to message #29437] Fri, 08 April 2005 17:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I knew I'd seen posts from you about this. I didn't do it right, but it came out nicely. I'll bet I've wiped a thin coat on the panel 50 times though. It looks like the finish Martinelli put on the two π towers!

My method [message #29439 is a reply to message #29437] Sat, 09 April 2005 10:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wunhuanglo is currently offline  wunhuanglo
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Not that it's superior to anybody's, but it's how I do it.

Soak it down.

Wait overnight.

Using fine (000) steel wool, rub oil into the wood like Simonizing a car in the old days.

Keep on rubbing till it shines.

Re:Put de lime in de coconut............ [message #29440 is a reply to message #29437] Sat, 09 April 2005 13:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bill Martinelli is currently offline  Bill Martinelli
Illuminati (1st Degree)

I like a combination of both these guys. Apply a heavy coat and wipe most of it off after 1o minutes. then when the surface gets tacky in another 15 or 30 minutes. I rub it down hard with a clean soft rag to burnish the shine.

If you apply another coat before the preceding coat hardened, then you end up re-dissolving, so to speak, the coat you just put on and don’t get as much build up as if you wait 4 hours to overnight. A fan can help speed things along.

After two coats I use either fine steel wool or 600-1500 paper and smooth of the surface again.

You can keep doing this until you’re happy with the finish.

Re:OMIGOSH!!! A THREAD on Craftsmen!!!!! [message #29442 is a reply to message #29440] Sat, 09 April 2005 16:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (2nd Degree)

Re:OMIGOSH!!! A THREAD on Craftsmen!!!!! [message #29445 is a reply to message #29442] Sun, 10 April 2005 10:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Yep, people got bored of building amps on the Group Build forum and came over here to build boxes for 'em.

Speaking of building boxes... [message #29446 is a reply to message #29445] Sun, 10 April 2005 17:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wunhuanglo is currently offline  wunhuanglo
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Eventually I'm going to build a pair of 3 ft^3 sealed subs. I was contemplating that today, and how to build them stiff/dead.

It occured to me that people always use sheet stock and then add braces. Some do the B&W thing and add a honeycomb of sorts to fill and stiffen from the interior.

Has anybody considered emulating a "stress panel" - building a frame out of say 2X2s and then covering the outside/inside with something like 1/2" MDF. I guess the cavities could be filled with Great Stuff or similar (expanding foam). That would result in walls 2-1/4 inches thick - ought to be quite stiff, like a helicopter floor. The baffle would probably be solid, or at least it would be most convienient.

Re: Speaking of building boxes... [message #29447 is a reply to message #29446] Mon, 11 April 2005 03:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
The Great Stuf could be trusted to push out the panels and maybe loosen the fasteners. And w/o you'd have 2 flapping panels/side.
Taking a bit from Bob Brines and another from Art Ludwig I'm about to try a consrained layer with 3/4" Mdf then 30# roofing felt then 1/2" Hardi-Backer. Held together with polyurethane construction adhesive. If I ever get done with the freakin' radio!
Watcha gonna use fer woofers?

Re:Put de lime in de coconut............ [message #29448 is a reply to message #29437] Mon, 11 April 2005 07:49 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
GarMan is currently offline  GarMan
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
I take the "amature" approach, meaning I have no delivery timelines to meet and I take advantage of the fact that I have all the time in the world. Like Epstein suggested, flood the surface for 20 minutes. Sometimes, for smaller pieces, I let it sit in a tray to soak. Wipe off any excess. Wait 2 days to dry. For the next 10 days to 2 weeks, wipe a very thin coat on every other day. Don't try to build a layer with it. This method is very time inefficent. But for someone like me who lack advance skill and knowledge, time is a great replacement.

There are also different types of tung oil too. "Natural" takes longer to dry. Polymerized are faster drying and I find is better at building a coat (which I don't like to do). "High Lustre" tung oil from Lee Valley can build a lacquer-like finish, but is difficult to use straight out of the bottle. I like to use a blend of Lee Valley's High Lustre and "natural" tung oil as final coat. One part High Lustre with 4 parts "natural" gives me a soft sheen.

Gar.

Previous Topic: Nailgun Advice Solicited
Next Topic: New glue for easy veneering
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 16:36:52 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers