Home » Audio » Craftsmen » Tung Oil - How to?
Re:Great Post! [message #29450 is a reply to message #29448] Mon, 11 April 2005 16:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BillEpstein is currently offline  BillEpstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
"There are also different types of tung oil too. "Natural" takes longer to dry. Polymerized are faster drying and I find is better at building a coat (which I don't like to do). "High Lustre" tung oil from Lee Valley can build a lacquer-like finish, but is difficult to use straight out of the bottle. I like to use a blend of Lee Valley's High Lustre and "natural" tung oil as final coat. One part High Lustre with 4 parts "natural" gives me a soft sheen."

What problems did you have with the Lee Valley?

I'm intrigued by your description as lacquer-like.

I'm most familiar with the Waterlox satin which is what is used in my "Tung Oil Tips" link. It does build nicely but allows the grain and patina of an older piece come through.

Awwww, Bill..... [message #29451 is a reply to message #29447] Mon, 11 April 2005 17:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wunhuanglo is currently offline  wunhuanglo
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
"The Great Stuf could be trusted to push out the panels and maybe loosen the fasteners."

Even when it says on the can "will not distort window frames"?

It was kind of a generic suggestion - a layer of 1" insulating foam bonded perhaps, or something else to increase the section thickness.

The woofers will Adire Tumults - they're currently in 17" H-Frames, but I want to see if I can "kick it up a notch".

BTW - Constrained layer damping [message #29452 is a reply to message #29447] Mon, 11 April 2005 17:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wunhuanglo is currently offline  wunhuanglo
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
This stuff is the shizzle, my nizzle.

Polymeric Mastic 0.070" 32" x 54" 0.10 -30° to +300° F 0.7 Black
9709T19 14.62

Page 3274

Re:Great Post! [message #29453 is a reply to message #29450] Mon, 11 April 2005 19:51 Go to previous message
GarMan is currently offline  GarMan
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
I find the Lee Valley High Luster tung oil is very thick and sticky right out of the bottle and difficult to get an even and smooth coat. Probably usable with a sprayer, which I don't have. Cut it with some normal stuff and it's a lot easier to spread.

Maybe lacquer-like is not the best term. I got about ten to twelve coats on my 3PI speakers, resulting in a high gloss clear coat thick enough to fill the open grains of the oak panel. Unfortunately it does not have the durability of lacquer.

Recently, at your suggestion, I started playing with boiled linseed oil. Love the stuff. Very different from tung oil.

Previous Topic: Nailgun Advice Solicited
Next Topic: New glue for easy veneering
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Apr 24 02:09:46 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout