Home » Audio » Craftsmen » It's that time of year............
It's that time of year............ [message #29430] Thu, 31 March 2005 16:42 Go to next message
BillEpstein is currently offline  BillEpstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
............when the basement tool rooms are being used to clean golf clubs and tie flies. All the manufacturers and retailers of tools have sales rebates and deals.
Just a few I've seen:

the first and still best wide shoe circular saw, the Makita 1007 is $99 everywhere with a case and blade

International Tool.com and Woodcraft have rebates on everything and Woodcraft has the mogambo Porter Cable Speedmatic router for $299

REALLY good prices on veneer on E-Bay I just got 78SF of Maple for $35.Very few auctions are being bid on and the exotics are going for the opener.

Go to Lowes and get a price on MDF, then go to Home Depot for the meet and beat by 10% and have a customer quote printed, then go back to Lowes and have them meet and beat. Hah!

Re: It's that time of year............ [message #29431 is a reply to message #29430] Thu, 31 March 2005 17:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lon is currently offline  lon
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Bisquit joiners... erf.

Even at Harbor they're $40 and those are shite.

I'd like to get one used so that my glueups are flush for a change.

(Had a lot of glue creep on unit today-- less pressure is better
I guess.)

Re:Biscuit joiners: an answer searching for a question [message #29432 is a reply to message #29431] Thu, 31 March 2005 17:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BillEpstein is currently offline  BillEpstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Are you alternating sides with the clamps, crank on this side, then that side. etc?
Have you tried 3M packing tape instead of clamps? You can get enough pressure pulling on it as you push it down the get a little glue squeeze-out and a good bond.
For pipe clamps try this:
get a 24X36 piece of melamine covered particle board
get a 36" long piece of 2x4 pine
drill 3/4" holes down the exact center of the 2x4 every 6"
Rip the board in half
screw and glue the pieces to the melamine and you will have perfect sized cradles for the clamps every 6" and a surface the glue will easily clean off

Much more betterer (sic) [message #29433 is a reply to message #29432] Thu, 31 March 2005 18:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wunhuanglo is currently offline  wunhuanglo
Illuminati (2nd Degree)

Re: It's that time of year............ [message #29434 is a reply to message #29431] Thu, 31 March 2005 20:34 Go to previous message
GarMan is currently offline  GarMan
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
I took Epstein's advice to purposely glue up with edge-proud of 1/16" to 1/8". Then take a router with laminate cutter to it and get perfectly flush edges.

Masking tape with miter joints are great too.

Previous Topic: Hard looking joinery made easy
Next Topic: Nailgun Advice Solicited
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 17:30:33 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout