Home » Audio » Craftsmen » Using Hole Saw w/o Center Bit
Using Hole Saw w/o Center Bit [message #29418] Tue, 15 March 2005 07:37 Go to next message
GarMan is currently offline  GarMan
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Is it safe to use a hole saw on wood without the center drill bit?

I'm looking for ways to make some 2" round knobs and was thinking of drilling them out from 1" stock with a hold saw. Problem is, I don't want the hole made by the center drill bit.

Re: Yes that's my Bugle knob [message #29420 is a reply to message #29418] Tue, 15 March 2005 11:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BillEpstein is currently offline  BillEpstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
I put a switch and a couple exra inputs so I can dial between CD and LP.
You can make an 'almost round' knob like mine by cutting a X" square, drilling the center hole and tapping threads for the set screw. Then trim the corners to make an oct'n, insert a bolt in the center hole, chuck it in your drill (still with me?), clamp the drill in a vise, turn the drill on and then (this is the best part!) carefully hold a belt sander with 60 grit to the spinning block of wood. Trust me! It works!
Go ahead and use the hole saw and fill the visible hole with 12 or 10 gauge copper wire. Looks good.
You can buy hole saws that have an arbor attached but no center bit. They're not meant to be used w/o a center bit, but, only in a drill press with the work securely clamped you can.
My knob is Cocobolo and the indicator on the knob as well as the 2 positions are marked with 10 Ga. wire. Looks good with a cheap digital camera.

Re: Yes that's my Bugle knob [message #29421 is a reply to message #29420] Tue, 15 March 2005 11:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Spin the wood on a drill and shape with a belt sander! Bill, you are a crazy man.

I think I'm going to try the hole saw with the center bit to start the cut and then complete it without. I'll need the centre hole for the pot and switch attachement.

Re: Yes that's my Bugle knob [message #29423 is a reply to message #29421] Wed, 16 March 2005 20:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bill Martinelli is currently offline  Bill Martinelli
Illuminati (1st Degree)

You can have good luck using a hole saw with noe center drill if you pre drill a hole with 'that hole saw' and clamp on the top of the new part you want to drill. The top guide wood should be 1/2 - 3/4 thick and clamped firmly onto the new piece to cut.

A drill press is important for this type of work.

using a hole saw with no center drill is hospital visit waiting to happen!

Bill

Re: Sissy - Mary's!!! [message #29424 is a reply to message #29423] Thu, 17 March 2005 04:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Lefty is currently offline  Lefty
Esquire
Didja ever see the video where Frank Klausz makes an old-fasioned workbench and cuts the dovetail ends by by standing the 24"X72"X2" top up on the table saw?

I wanta be like Frank! I cut all 4 ports with a no-drill-bit-hole-saw free hand with my Bosch for these 2Pi's.

I was a little nervous but somehow avoided "porting" my legs. Safer to use the drill and belt sander.

Re: Sissy - Mary's!!! [message #29425 is a reply to message #29424] Thu, 17 March 2005 11:25 Go to previous message
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Epstein, I'll leave the "Wile E. Coyote" methods of work to someone more experience like you.

BTW, I got some dye stain like you suggested and played around with it over the past two weeks. Love the results compared to the gel stain I've been using. I'm going through a black-dyed open grain oak phase.

Previous Topic: I made the mistake of hooking this up
Next Topic: Need Options for Router Table
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 17:50:39 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout