Home » Audio » Craftsmen » Nailgun Advice Solicited
Nailgun Advice Solicited [message #29401] Wed, 09 March 2005 11:13 Go to next message
Dean Kukral is currently offline  Dean Kukral
Master
I am seriously considering purchasing a nail gun, having envied Norm's for some time. I would like your advice.

I am thinking about a DeWalt 18guage nailer, available for about $100 from Amazon.

I intend to use it only occasionally for projects such as speakers, tv and stereo equipment shelves, and bookcases. (To help hold the pieces together while glue dries.)

Any comments?

TIA

Re: Nailgun Advice Solicited [message #29402 is a reply to message #29401] Wed, 09 March 2005 15:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bill Fitzmaurice is currently offline  Bill Fitzmaurice
Grand Master
I got a 19v cordless as part of a tool system from Sears, looks sweet, haven't used it yet. I'd check one out. Probably a lot cheaper than $100, as I got a 1/2 drill, 3/8 drill, circular and recip saw and lamp along with the stapler for $300- with a rolling case for the whole shebang.

Re: Nailgun Advice Solicited [message #29403 is a reply to message #29401] Wed, 09 March 2005 16:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wunhuanglo is currently offline  wunhuanglo
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
From my experience:

1. Porter-Cable ain't what it used to be

2. A narrow crown stapler seems to use a much more effective fastener; 2-for-one vs. a pin nailer?

Re: Nailgun Advice Solicited [message #29405 is a reply to message #29401] Thu, 10 March 2005 12:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
colinhester is currently offline  colinhester
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
I have the Porter Cable nail gun set (compressor and 2 nailers) and could not be happier. I use them in my profession (home restorer) and they have never let me down - not a single misfire in 2 years.

I have no expereince with the DeWalt nailer, but I can tell you from experience their warranty service is world-class. I recently purchased a DW706 (12" dual-bevel compound miter saw) and the blade guard broke (my fault) after about 50 cuts. Dropped off at the local service center and a week later is was brand new - no questions asked.

If, however, you are just looking for something to use on occasion, you might want to consider Harbor Freight (www.harborfreight.com) They have nailer for about $15. Not the best build quality, but it is functional. I picked one up just as a spare, but have never actually used it.

Another place to look is the local newspaper or "Trading Post" type of classified newspapers. I see nailers in our local one all the time for about 75% off retail. Some were used by weekend warriors and others I'm sure are beat to hell. Still, it's worth a look.....Colin

Re: There's no such thing as a bad nailer........... [message #29406 is a reply to message #29405] Thu, 10 March 2005 15:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BillEpstein is currently offline  BillEpstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
but there are bad nails!
The narrow crown staple is a good idea. Typical 18Ga. brad nails will be deflected in MDF and even plywood to come out the sides of teh workpiece as much as 50% of the time.
I'm a big fan of 4d. bright finish nails hit with a fairly light hammer,
Thanks for the advice [message #29407 is a reply to message #29406] Thu, 10 March 2005 22:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
colinhester is currently offline  colinhester
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Bill, Thanks for the tip. To be quite honest I have never worked with MDF, so thanks for the heads up.

Too bad the MAF is not around any more. I would love to have heard one of your talks......Colin

Re: Thanks for the advice [message #29408 is a reply to message #29407] Thu, 10 March 2005 23:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

It really was great. Maybe we can get Bill and Bill to do it again this year at GPAF.

What I finally got in case u r interested [message #29435 is a reply to message #29401] Fri, 01 April 2005 19:23 Go to previous message
Dean Kukral is currently offline  Dean Kukral
Master
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0000C6DWE/103-2597178-6234215?%5Fencoding=UTF8&v=glance

I decided, after seeing the advice, that I needed a more serious piece of hardware. I opted for the above Senco package of a "Senco FinishPro 41XP 15-Gauge Finish Nailer with Free FinishPro 15 18-Gauge Brad Nailer" for $250 at Amazon.

I haven't used it yet.

Thanks to those who responded.

Previous Topic: It's that time of year............
Next Topic: Tung Oil - How to?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 18:47:27 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout