Home » Audio » Craftsmen » Jointer and Plywood
Jointer and Plywood [message #29398] Wed, 02 March 2005 11:10 Go to next message
Cantskienuf is currently offline  Cantskienuf
Esquire
Can I use a jointer to get a flat edge on plywood, or will it splinter the outer surface? Seems that on my larger cuts I sometimes get a slight pinch on the table saw making the edge a bit less than perfect. The inner plys don't seem to be too happy if I try to smooth the edge up with a finish sander.

Re: Jointer and Plywood [message #29399 is a reply to message #29398] Wed, 02 March 2005 15:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BillEpstein is currently offline  BillEpstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
I can't recall ever jointing plywood but why not try?

When you say "pinch" I think you mean the workpiece moves toward and away from the fence a bit? Or do you have an "ear" sticking out on the last 1/2" that goes thru?

The fromer is cured by cutting the first cuts off a large sheet 1/4"+ oversize then flipping the fence edge to be the cut edge and trimming to final length witht eh more manageable=sized piece.

The latter is caused by the weight of the large off'cut falling away from the blade as you flinch a bit on the push through. When you get to the last few inches of the cut be sure and have a hand on each side of the blade pushing on the workpiece side and just following thru on the off-cut side. Despite the large size of either don't push just on the workpiece side. The offcut will always fall away and tear away, leavcing that "ear".

Re: Jointer and Plywood [message #29400 is a reply to message #29399] Sat, 05 March 2005 15:52 Go to previous message
Bill Fitzmaurice is currently offline  Bill Fitzmaurice
Grand Master
You can use a jointer with plywood going with the grain of the outer plies but not against the grain without tearing it up.

Previous Topic: New Project
Next Topic: The Lynn Sabin Jig: A Great Box Joint Jig
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 06:05:03 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout