Home » Audio » Craftsmen » New Project
New Project [message #29392] Wed, 09 February 2005 18:50 Go to next message
elektratig is currently offline  elektratig
Grand Master
Hey guys,

We had a beautiful, almost early Spring-like, weekend last weekend here in the Northeast, so I got the bug to open up my shop-garage-igloo. I've had an easy initial project for the early Spring in mind for a while, so after finding plans I went to the local lumber store and picked up the necessaries and began cutting. It was good to hear the old saw whining again.

The project? Pis? Bob Brines Fostex? Martin King Lowthers? A subwoofer? Nah. Bat houses! Bats are our friends. They're really cute in an icky sort of way and they eat tons of insects. Plus, maybe they'll stop hanging out (literally) inside my folded-up black patio umbrella this summer.

After the bat houses, maybe a barn owl house?

Have you gone batty? [message #29393 is a reply to message #29392] Fri, 11 February 2005 21:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
colinhester is currently offline  colinhester
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
That's pretty cool. My sophmore zoo. prof used to bring bats to the lectures, that was his speciality - amazing critters.....Colin

Re: Have you gone batty? [message #29394 is a reply to message #29393] Sun, 13 February 2005 18:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Grand Master
Colin,

Thanks to you, I've learned a new word: artiodacytl, "A placental mammal having hooves with an even number of functional toes on each foot." Includes cattle, deer, camels, hippopotami and goats.

Re: Have you gone batty? [message #29395 is a reply to message #29394] Fri, 18 February 2005 14:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
How do you get the Bats to move in? I see the houses all around here but no bats living in them. Maybe the taxes are too high?
Seriously they had a big bat thing here for a while so now there is a house on every tree.

Re: Have you gone batty? [message #29396 is a reply to message #29395] Sat, 19 February 2005 05:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Grand Master
I have no idea how bats find bat houses. I'm just gonna build them and hope the bats show up. There seem to be lots of bats in the area, although I don't know where they come from. Trees? Caves? The attic? Last summer, a bunch moved into my folded-down patio umbrella (drawing intense interest from the cats), so there seems to be demand for good housing.

More misguided, probably, is the second project I'm planning, a barn owl box. I've got the right sort of physical location (according to web sites I've seen), but the same sites suggest that barn owls are fairly uncommon and that you've got to be pretty lucky to have a pair move in.

Re: Have you gone batty? [message #29397 is a reply to message #29396] Sat, 19 February 2005 10:36 Go to previous message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
I swear I saw one with a foreclosure notice on it; no kidding.
One of my friends does a landscaping business and he finds them all the time. He brought two home in a cage for my son. I wanted to know what to feed them so I called the local nature preserve. They became rather hostile and threatened legal action. Evidently it is illegal to keep them; so, who knew?

Previous Topic: Plywood Edge Protection
Next Topic: Jointer and Plywood
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 23 06:52:06 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout