Home » Audio » Craftsmen » Plywood Edge Protection
Plywood Edge Protection [message #29388] Thu, 03 February 2005 10:32 Go to next message
Cantskienuf is currently offline  Cantskienuf
Esquire

I'm building the Fostex back-loaded horn for the FE166E. The plan calls for the side panels to constitute an exterior surface on the front (see link below). This causes the plywood edge to be in a somewhat vulnerable location. How do folks keep these from eventually splintering? Do you normally veneer Baltic Birch horns? Should I add some sort of trim on this exposed edge (note that the baffle extends from the front of the cabinet so this may not make a sonic impact).

Yep, I'm new [message #29389 is a reply to message #29388] Thu, 03 February 2005 11:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cantskienuf is currently offline  Cantskienuf
Esquire
I'll try the link again. Sorry!

Re: Yep, I'm new [message #29390 is a reply to message #29389] Thu, 03 February 2005 16:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
It looks to me like you were pretty close, but the form of the URL you included was a web page (using PHP) instead of a direct link to an image file.

The web page URL is:

http://img210.exs.cx/my.php?loc=img210&image=fostex166ehorn51ae.jpg

This can be put in the "Optional Link URL" field.

The image file URL is:

http://img210.exs.cx/img210/9044/fostex166ehorn51ae.jpg

You can find out the direct link to an image file URL by right clicking on the image, and then clicking "Properties." Try it!

This can be put in the "Optional Image URL" field. It will show the picture below at the top of the post.

Cool speaker, by the way!

Re: Plywood Edge Protection [message #29391 is a reply to message #29388] Thu, 03 February 2005 17:13 Go to previous message
BillEpstein is currently offline  BillEpstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Not to worry, Ski. The Baltic Birch has such tightly glued plies that you should get decades w/o wear. Many of the speakers of the 50's and 60's were made this way. I would "break" (round-over) slightly the outside edges with some 220 grit garnet paper on a wooden sanding block. Also round over the top corners of the side pieces as they have done in the foto. Transforming all the 90 degree sharp angles into gentle curves will help a lot as will the finsh you apply. Everybody knows how I feel about goopethane but in this case it will offer some additional protection against abrasion so I would use it. Get the Minwax Wipe-On Satin Polyurethane. Looks good.......
for goop.

Merry Pranks Website

Previous Topic: Holes in metal w/o chassis punch. HELP!!!
Next Topic: New Project
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 18 16:12:55 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout