Home » Audio » Craftsmen » Staining problem
Staining problem [message #29375] Fri, 21 January 2005 10:07 Go to next message
Bill Wassilak is currently offline  Bill Wassilak
Illuminati (1st Degree)
I stained some panels on some speakers I'm building using minwax provisional stain. Well one of the panels came out to dark. Is there a way with say a rag with paint thinner or something to lighten it up with out having to take and sand it all the way down.

Thanks
Bill W.

Re: Staining problem [message #29376 is a reply to message #29375] Fri, 21 January 2005 10:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ronbrady is currently offline  ronbrady
Chancellor
Hi Bill
I had the same problem with some pine I was working with. I should have used a pre-stain conditioner. I tried using some paint thinner with a rag and then a little stiff brush but all I was able to achieve was to make the higher places blond and the recessed places stayed dark. I think that you might be able to bleach the wood but I have no experience with those chemicals. Sanding will probably just hit the high surfaces and no get the deep penetrated areas without really sanding deep. You might be want to consider staining the other pieces darker to match the dark panel. Next time we will remember to use the pre-stain conditioner.
Best of luck
Ron Brady

Re: Staining problem [message #29377 is a reply to message #29375] Fri, 21 January 2005 15:26 Go to previous message
BillEpstein is currently offline  BillEpstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Welllll...you have a couple of problems. It's fairly easy to lighten the panel with bleaching kits sold at paint stores but then it's hit and miss to get the same color density as the other panel.
You can also put shellac over the stain and then use a honey amber or other dye stain to lighten the color.
It's probably best to do both. Use a bit of the bleaching agent in a corner to try to find the right solution to lighten the color the proper amount. Then put a coat of blonde shellac on both panels and apply a water-based dye stain over it to get the color you want. If you have a Woodcraft or Rocklers, etc nearby there is always someone knowledgeable and eager to guide you through the toning process.
Don't give up and reach for the sander. You won't believe how deep the stain went into the Pine and you will probably create a lot of low and high spots.
Let us know how it turns out.

Previous Topic: Great News!!!
Next Topic: Magic Eraser cleans metal, too
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 04:47:24 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers