Home » Audio » Craftsmen » How to bring out curls in curly maple
How to bring out curls in curly maple [message #29356] Sun, 09 January 2005 20:20 Go to next message
GarMan is currently offline  GarMan
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
I was strolling through RONA (it's like a Home Depot) this afternoon, looking at wood for fun. I lead such an exciting life, don't I? I came across a great piece of 3x1 maple with curls down its entire length that would be perfect for my next amp project. Took it home and hit it with a coat of Tung Oil. The curls brighten up a little, but not much.

I was also very disappointed at how little the colour changed. It when from white to dull grey. In the past, this same oil turned mahogany from brown to deep red, oak from pale yellow to deep orange, and cherry from brown/grey to bright red. I was hoping to see a piece of golden maple after the oiling, but it was not the case.

What's the recommendation for stain and finish to make the curls on this piece of wood shine and to turn it gold in colour?

thanks,
gar.

Re: How to bring out curls in curly maple [message #29359 is a reply to message #29356] Mon, 10 January 2005 02:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BillEpstein is currently offline  BillEpstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Dye stains are the answer. Maple is so dense you don't get the color effect you describe with other woods. Apply dye stains with a spray bottle using water, not alcohol as a dilute. More forgiving with longer open time. Linseed oil is better than Tung for this method. The link is about cherry but applies to Maple as well.

Re: How to bring out curls in curly maple [message #29362 is a reply to message #29359] Mon, 10 January 2005 08:27 Go to previous message
GarMan is currently offline  GarMan
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Thanks Bill. I'll drop into Lee Valley to pick up some Aniline Water Stain. It's the only place I know of in Toronto that carrys dye stain. I think everything in the big box stores are pigment stains.

I should start a list of all your advice that I've incorporated into my methods. To date they include:

- homemade circle cutter jig for my router
- rabbeting and groove joint for speaker panels
- mitre frame glue-up with masking tape
- move from urthethane to oil finishes
- and now dye stains

BTW, have you tried Lee Valley's High Lustre Tung Oil. Use it straight out of the can as a final coat gives you a high gloss laquer-like finish.

Gar.

Previous Topic: Making nice looking grilles
Next Topic: Miter cuts with chop saw
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 16 13:06:11 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers