Home » Audio » Craftsmen » Making nice looking grilles
Re: What are Splines? (nt) [message #29352 is a reply to message #29351] Sun, 09 January 2005 02:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BillEpstein is currently offline  BillEpstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Splines are reinforcements or, as I just discovered while Googling the word, frames for 3-D Computer Graphics modeling. The link tells how to use them to repair a screen. Same technique for installing grill cloth.
Woodworking splines are narrow bits of wood that are used to join 2 workpieces, like using biscuits. When making a tabletop, for instance, you would cut a Dado (groove) in each of the edges of the pieces to be joined into the top. Correctly cut, splines in the grooves help align the glue-up and strengthen the joint. Splines in picture-frames are placed where the corners come together to align and strengthen the miter joint. In both cases a weak Butt joint becomes a mechanically strong one which has most of the features of a Mortise and Tenon Joint, one of the strongest joints in woodworking.
To make the joint, first cut the miters. Then run each of the cut edges over the blade of the table saw, holding the workpiece so that the angled cut edge sits flat against the table. Make 1 pass with each of the 8 ends then another moving the fence a bit to create a groove just wide enough to accept your spline stock, usually 1/4" thick. If you have a Dado set of blades you can do this in one pass. Now dry fit the frame pieces and splines to be sure the width of the splines matches up with the depth of the grooves and the workpieces can be drawn tight. Too wide or too narrow splines will ruin the joint. The splines should protrude past the edges of the workpiece inside and outside of the assembled frame.
Now glue-up the frame. Properly sized splines will eliminate the need for clamps as they will swell a bit with the wet glue and hold the workpieces. Tape or small clamps can be used but the splines generally are in the way. There are special corner clamps that allow for the protrusion of the splines.
After the glue is cured, trim off the excess spline material with a block plane and/or chisel. You have a strong and good looking joint.

Re: What are Splines? (nt) [message #29361 is a reply to message #29352] Mon, 10 January 2005 08:11 Go to previous message
GarMan is currently offline  GarMan
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Thanks for the tutorial Bill. I'll have to pass on this technique as I don't have access to a tablesaw. I've seen this technique done after the glue-up by passing the frame over a tablesaw on a 45 degree jig.

Previous Topic: Need recommendations on which solder to use
Next Topic: How to bring out curls in curly maple
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 18 22:07:24 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout