Home » Audio » Craftsmen » Making nice looking grilles
Making nice looking grilles [message #29334] Tue, 28 December 2004 14:16 Go to next message
lon is currently offline  lon
Illuminati (2nd Degree)

Back in my kit making days, the method for making a fabric
grille was to staple some velcro on the cabinet, then
stretch the fabric over the grilled frame by spray gluing
one side, the opposite side,a third , a foe\urth and finally
pull tight at the edges.

but I'd like to get the discussion started at making the frame
for scratch build. I have failed at trying to cut quarter
round stock in a 2 cent mitre box. Nothing is square and
_besides that the sides don't line up worth squat either.

There are hand miter box systems with the saw which I've
seen, but don't kniow what level of improvement would be
provided over the old wood one. The saw looks nice and the
blade is like a hack saw blade only wider and should cut
square.

I thought of using a length of picture framing material.

Then there's the 'chord system' where the fabric is
pressed into a groove and the rope chord is forced in to
keep it in place.

I would use silk fabric because it is sound neutral.

Fastening the frame to the cabinet is usually done
with those ball and socket thingies, magnets, or the ol' velcro.
With the last kits I built, the ball and socket thingies sucked
and the pre-drilled holes to line everything up sucked too.

What methods are being used here that give an at least
bearable and at best professional look?

BTW... new info in the Group build Plug and Play speakers too.

Re: Making nice looking grilles [message #29337 is a reply to message #29334] Tue, 28 December 2004 20:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bill Fitzmaurice is currently offline  Bill Fitzmaurice
Grand Master
One of the better methods was (perhaps first) used way back when by Henry Kloss, who put fabric over a masonite panel that had cutouts large enough to clear the driver frames but otherwise was solid, so not only did it serve as a grille frame, it also transformed the baffle to the equivalent of flush mounting the drivers for diffraction control.

Re: Oh no! Bamberglab is gone! [message #29338 is a reply to message #29337] Wed, 29 December 2004 19:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BillEpstein is currently offline  BillEpstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Used to be a really good tutorial on constructing frames and covering them. You want to cut them from a sheet of 3/4 MDF the same size as the baffle. leave the edges about 1 1/2" wide and 45 degrees at the corners so there is more strength. That eliminated cutting and gluing miters.

Position the frame on the baffle and tape it in place. Drill a very small hole through the frame into the baffle where the mounting plug things will go. Then use the hole as astarting guide for drilling the actual size holes. That eliminates the positioning dilemma.

Spray the front and sides of the frame with PAM vegetable oil spray. Place the fabric on a table, put the frame over it upside down and cover the exposed part of the fabric with newspaper. Now spray the inside part of the frame with 3M 90 adhesive. Let it develop a "tack" and, beginning at the middle of one long side position the fabric in the glue. The PAM allows the fabric to slide and keeps the visible part out of the glue. Stretch and place the other long side, then the 2 short sides leaving all the corners for last. Trim away as much of the bunched fabric in the corners as possible with a scissors.

You will get some glue on the visible parts so don't use a light color fabric.

I will never use this method again HAH! but instead rout a dado all the way around the frame and place the fabric with rubber screen spline.

Re: Oh no! Bamberglab is gone! [message #29339 is a reply to message #29338] Thu, 30 December 2004 23:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (2nd Degree)

Hah!

Can you say more about the screen spline method...
or does it speak for itself, so to speak?

Re:Yes. nt [message #29340 is a reply to message #29339] Fri, 31 December 2004 03:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (2nd Degree)

Re:Yes. nt [message #29344 is a reply to message #29340] Fri, 07 January 2005 21:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (2nd Degree)

Bill,

Any link possible that will show the grille-making process.

signed,

lon (Mr. Spoonfed)

Re:Sorry to hear you don't have Google in the Badlands [message #29345 is a reply to message #29344] Sat, 08 January 2005 03:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Just the first of many Google hits!

Re:Sorry to hear you don't have Google in the Badlands [message #29349 is a reply to message #29345] Sat, 08 January 2005 12:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (2nd Degree)

The ghost of Bob Hope must be in your computer.

Ok, let me ask it another way. What is the router bit used
for the 'screen chord' technique and how is the the chord pressed
into the groove?

Re: I just flew in from Guam and boy are my.......... [message #29350 is a reply to message #29334] Sat, 08 January 2005 20:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
....arms tired!
Ya want a decent miter saw Jorgensen at HD,etc. makes one like in the link but about $40. The Veritas will cut picture frame quality miters, tho'. Instead of the MDF I make the frame from 1 1/2"X 3/4" maple, miter the ends and cut kerfs in them to accept 1/4" plywood splines. Really strong and easy to glue-up. Also thee are prettty good corner clamps available see my post about miter clamps.
Rout a groove with a 2 flute upshear 1/8" bit. Then just use rubber screen spline you get at HD, etc. Push it in with a spline tool which is just a grooved roller. Heck, you can use a screwdriver or the back of a chisel but not the wive;s butter knife.

What are Splines? (nt) [message #29351 is a reply to message #29350] Sat, 08 January 2005 22:29 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
GarMan is currently offline  GarMan
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
nt

Previous Topic: Need recommendations on which solder to use
Next Topic: How to bring out curls in curly maple
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 20 05:38:20 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio