Home » Audio » Craftsmen » latest project
latest project [message #29299] Mon, 22 November 2004 20:27 Go to next message
Bill Martinelli is currently offline  Bill Martinelli
Illuminati (1st Degree)
This is a project I have been working on for a while and I'm very happy with the sound from this driver combination. Eminence DeltaLite 12", Eminence 6" sealed Back, BMS 4540ND. Ribbon mahogany cabinets with mahogany horns. The horn stands are adjustable at the rear point for movement of the horn angle. A few other pics on woodhorn.com/2005.htm

Stunning (nt) [message #29300 is a reply to message #29299] Mon, 22 November 2004 21:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
colinhester is currently offline  colinhester
Illuminati (3rd Degree)

Gorgeous! [message #29302 is a reply to message #29299] Mon, 22 November 2004 23:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Those are gorgeous, Bill!
Truly outstanding!

Re: latest project [message #29304 is a reply to message #29299] Tue, 23 November 2004 08:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GarMan is currently offline  GarMan
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Bill, do you use a veneer press for your work? I worked with some ribbon mahogany this summer and had lots of problems keeping it flat. As soon as it hit the glue, it accordion-ed right up.

Gar.

Re: I'm not Martinelli but I hold his coat......... [message #29309 is a reply to message #29304] Wed, 24 November 2004 17:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BillEpstein is currently offline  BillEpstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
If you swing by Woodhorn Estates in the daytime you'll see all the horse and buggys parked in the driveway. Toiling away in his basement are a legion of little guys all named Yoder in denim jackets, straw hats and beards sweating over coal-fire heated irons pressing down all that veneer.
Mrs. Martinelli, in the meantime, is out in the unheated garage spinning straw into gold.

Re: Your room is always here... [message #29311 is a reply to message #29309] Wed, 24 November 2004 22:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bill Martinelli is currently offline  Bill Martinelli
Illuminati (1st Degree)

Can you toss another shovel on the fire while this bottle is breathing for us?

Gar,

To answer your question pointedly, yes I have a veneer press. It is a small caul and platen press 2' x 4'. simply made on a sturdy framework with 3 layers of MDF for the platen. The cauls are all 1.5 x 3 fir or poplar and they have a 1/8" taper to the center from the outside end's. I use 7000 series I-beam clamps to apply pressure every 6" across the work. In this type of mechanism you can veneer a flat panel or an entire cabinet. For the cost of all the clamps you will need, a vacuum system could be purchased. I prefer this method and it will be replaced with hydraulics some day...

Honestly the best way to use veneered sheet good for cabinets is to buy veneered sheet goods. Hunt out a source for the best veneers you will be happy with that are already on a multi lam sheet. Then, work on your joinery techniques and cutting methods to avoid chip out and spaces.

Second option is to coat the substrate with glue and iron on the veneer. Veneer is like everything else only to the farthest extent. "it requires balance" if you wet one side of veneer with glue, or anything bearing moisture. Be prepared to equalize the other side or it will curl up like a wet leaf on a hot driveway. The figured the wood such as a burl, curl, strip or ribbon. The more cross or wild graining patterns there are to the natural wood. These graining patterns are anything but straight, pulling in all directions causing you grief.

Bill

Re: latest project [message #29313 is a reply to message #29299] Mon, 29 November 2004 14:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Craig Leerman is currently offline  Craig Leerman
Esquire
Beautiful! I'm sure they sound as nice as they look!

Wow, really a sweet looking pair of speakers Bill.. [message #29317 is a reply to message #29299] Mon, 06 December 2004 20:05 Go to previous message
John Chleapas is currently offline  John Chleapas
Baron
Outstanding.. I own a pair of 6' tall 2-way horn speakers and yours are more aesthethtically pleasing than my pair. Someday I hope to be masochistic enough to try a pair of double Onken cabinets. Maybe with my tax refund from this year. That and a pair of 32" SB wood horns would put me in horn heaven. I do believe I could live out my life with a pair of horn speakers like yours however if they sound 1/2 as good as they look in this picture. Best Regards, John C.

Previous Topic: Craftsmen table saw 10'' model #11327610
Next Topic: Ryobi TS 15 on sale at Home Depot
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 08:04:49 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout