Home » Audio » Craftsmen » Vibration from enclosure surface
Vibration from enclosure surface [message #29298] Mon, 22 November 2004 15:00 Go to next message
GarMan is currently offline  GarMan
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Just wondering how vibration-free should the outer surface of an enclosure be. Over the weekend, I cranked some thump-aty-thump dance music passed 11 to my 2235's and was definately feeling vibrations on the outer surface of the enclosure. I pressed my ears against the side of the cabinet and was able to hear muted music from it. These cabinets are built from 3/4 MDF, double thickness front baffle, and braced top-to-bottom, side-to-side, and front-to-back. Do I need more padding or bracing?

Gar.

Re: Vibration from enclosure surface [message #29301 is a reply to message #29298] Mon, 22 November 2004 23:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Sound travels through solids. As long as the panel isn't resonant, I'd say you're probably just fine.

Re: Vibration from enclosure surface [message #29303 is a reply to message #29301] Tue, 23 November 2004 07:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GarMan is currently offline  GarMan
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
How do I tell the difference between vibrating and resonating?

Re: Vibration from enclosure surface [message #29305 is a reply to message #29303] Tue, 23 November 2004 11:43 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
If a panel resonates at a particular frequency, it will be louder at that frequency. But even if it doesn't, it will still pass sound through it a little bit because sound passes through solids.

If what you're hearing is muted uniformly except for more deep bass, then your cabinet is probably pretty solid. If it is louder at some midbass frequency, then you may have a panel that could use another brace.

Previous Topic: Check this one out!
Next Topic: Craftsmen table saw 10'' model #11327610
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 01:43:27 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout