Home » Audio » LSAF » GPAF - LSAF - Possible Venue Change
GPAF - LSAF - Possible Venue Change [message #3258] Fri, 09 June 2006 10:53 Go to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Last night, Fred and Linda Thompson and I went to see their sons' band, "Low Rent", who performed in Austin. Awesome, Andy and Matt are excellent! Not just saying that either, they are really good. Can't wait for the CD.

Anyway, while eating before the show, we discussed the possibility of moving GPAF to Dallas for next year's show. The venue is larger and we would likely have a larger turnout. I'm happy with how GPAF has been the last two years, but a bigger show in Dallas would be good too. Maybe we could alternate venues every year, I dunno. So I'm throwing this out to you all for feedback.

What I would really like to retain is the grass roots "Woodstock" feel of the show, and the absolute lack of fees. I don't like the idea of a promoter turning the show itself into a revenue source. I like the idea of a venue where the smaller niche companies can set up and show up, and a thousand dollar entry fee added to the transportation costs is prohibitive. So I would like to see free admission for exibitors retained no matter where the show is done.

The thing is, if we move to Dallas, we'll need a "point man" or two. Fred volunteered, but he lives in Houston. So we thought we could maybe ask Jim Rivers, and since he wasn't there to defend himself, he was an easy target. Or maybe Russ or someone else, or maybe a few people could get involved.

It's a big job, to tell the truth. You have to arrange with the folks at Embassy Suites and you have to send out press releases. I bought a bunch of signs and set them around the city, that helps a lot too. But planning and organization isn't a trivial amount of work, even when as loosely done as GPAF always has been.

I'd be willing to host the web space, same as I've always done. I've already obtained a "LoneStarAudiofest.com" domain name in anticipation. We can tie it to the GPAF and ART website, probably link in the Texas clubs sites too.

So now I'm looking for feedback from everyone. What do you all think? Could we find support for this? Is it something we're interested in doing? We'll definitely have GPAF next year, first weekend in May. The only question is where. Would it be better suited for a larger venue like Dallas, maybe morph it into a LSAF? Or do we leave it as it is, and keep GPAF in Tulsa? Let me know your thoughts.

Re: GPAF - LSAF - Possible Venue Change [message #3259 is a reply to message #3258] Fri, 09 June 2006 14:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bob Spence is currently offline  Bob Spence
Esquire
Wayne, I will be happy to be a part of the Committee in Dallas to make this happen if there is an interest by the others.

Bob Spence

Re: GPAF - LSAF - Possible Venue Change [message #3260 is a reply to message #3258] Fri, 09 June 2006 16:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
FredT is currently offline  FredT
Illuminati (1st Degree)
I raised this issue with Wayne because as much as I like Tulsa, I believe the location limits the show's potential. The number of potential visitors who live in the Tulsa area, or who are willing to drive or fly to Tulsa from another metropolitan area, is the limiting factor. Moving the show to Dallas would make it possible to attract more visitors from the DFW area plus a significant number from Austin, Houston, San Antonio, etc.

I also agree strongly that it's a good idea to keep the show oriented toward small non-mainstream manufacturers/designers who sell their products primarily over the internet. A show like the GPAF/LSAF can be useful to these sellers because it provides an opportunity for people who otherwise could only read about their products to see, hear and touch them. But this can only work if a significant number of people visit the show.

Another consideration is that there are several important and highly regarded manufacturers in the DFW area, Houston, Austin, etc who might participate if they believed a significant number of potential customers would be there. I really would like to see Dodd Audio, GR Research, Audio Mirror, Silver Circle Audio, etc. as exhibitors, and if the show were in Dallas this should be a no-brainer to them considering the cost to participate is only the cost of the hotel room plus gas to get there - no $1K show promoter's fees. They would also get a good buzz on the audio forums too as a result of participating.

Re: GPAF - LSAF - Possible Venue Change [message #3261 is a reply to message #3258] Fri, 09 June 2006 17:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
akhilesh is currently offline  akhilesh
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
I think Dallas will probably attract a larger crowd. IT will of ocourse limit attendance by local Tulsans, but I guess there will be more than enough dallas folk ot make up for it.
-akhilesh

Re: GPAF - LSAF - Possible Venue Change [message #3262 is a reply to message #3258] Fri, 09 June 2006 18:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Shane is currently offline  Shane
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
I like the idea, mainly cuz it's just a little closer. It might not limit some of the Tulsa crowd as much if a group of you went together.

We have a primative archery rendevous in Marshall, Mo which is about a 90 minute drive east of Kansas City that attracts people from all over the world. I mean like 5-600 people for 4 days. Many, many of them travel in a group to share gas costs, etc....And they bring truckloads of gear, materials and the like as well.

Re: GPAF - LSAF - Possible Venue Change [message #3263 is a reply to message #3258] Fri, 09 June 2006 20:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
3moons is currently offline  3moons
Baron
In for a penny, in for a pound. I'm in. I like the committee concept. I will be honored to be a part of the "team". I would like to talk with Wayne and Fred privately, of course. My daughter is expecting her first baby in December, in Florida. And (just in case) a group, rather than one person, helping organize sounds like a sane approach. I've already emailed key members of the Dallas Audio Club and close friends a link to this post. Let the preparations begin. The Dallas Audio Club will have a room, of course

Re: GPAF - LSAF - Possible Venue Change [message #3264 is a reply to message #3258] Fri, 09 June 2006 21:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wardsweb is currently offline  wardsweb
Baron
Sounds great to me. I would drive up from San Antonio for a meet in Dallas. Maybe even haul a truck load of gear and speakers for a vinyl listening room. It has real possibilities.

Re: GPAF - LSAF - Possible Venue Change [message #3265 is a reply to message #3258] Sat, 10 June 2006 00:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Norris Wilson is currently offline  Norris Wilson
Grand Master
I for one, am always eager to take part in any event such as GPAF.
Tulsa and our general region has been long over due for such an event.
I enjoy the grass roots "Woodstock" feel of the event, as Wayne put it.
But, my concern with moving to Dallas and possibly growing the attendance dramatically. Is, the Woodstock feeling would no longer exist. That it would morph into something much more zoo like in nature.
And ultimately, it would become about the money.
The one on one personal communication with the designer and audio enthusiast, would be hard to support under such conditions.
The fun and thrill would be gone for me if the event grew too large and impersonable.
But, count me in for now where ever you hold the event.
Norris

Re: GPAF - LSAF - Possible Venue Change [message #3266 is a reply to message #3265] Sat, 10 June 2006 06:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
3moons is currently offline  3moons
Baron
Very understandable. Wayne is the top dog in this pack. Whatever his final decision is great with me. Tulsa, Oklahoma City, Dallas, McKinney,TX, Burns Flat,OK. Hey, I have fond memories of listening to some great vinyl while stationed at Burn Flat in 1968. jim...

Sounds like a plan [message #3268 is a reply to message #3258] Sat, 10 June 2006 09:38 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

It looks like everyone is pretty excited about this possibility. I'll call the Dallas Embassy Suites next week and make the initial approach. The plan we worked out with Natalie Doss in Tulsa is simple - We don't want a contract for a single person to buy up all the rooms and then resell them; Rather, we want a deal where everyone buys their own room under an assigned block (GPA in Tulsa, maybe LSA in Dallas). If there are more than a specific number of rooms bought then they agree to comp us the conference room.

Embassy Suites was very receptive to this in Tulsa since it was an easy way to sell a bunch of rooms in a weekend. The only thing is, we have to check availability of the first weekend in May. That was a good weekend for Tulsa, and I hope it is for Dallas as well. I'll call and make the initial approach and introduce them to the idea, then maybe we can all get together and hash out some details for the rest of the planning, press releases, advertisement signs, maybe print ads and what not. I'm willing to donate some (time and money) resources to this deal same as the last couple of years, and I thank each of you 'cause I can see you're in there with me too!

Next Topic: Dagogo LSAF report
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 02:53:52 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout