Home » Audio » Craftsmen » Need advice - new air compressor
Need advice - new air compressor [message #29260] Sun, 26 September 2004 14:46 Go to next message
wunhuanglo is currently offline  wunhuanglo
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
My little oil-less twin-stack just died.

I need a new 15 amp portable.

Any suggestions?

TIA

Charlie

Re: Need advice - new air compressor [message #29261 is a reply to message #29260] Mon, 27 September 2004 09:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
colinhester is currently offline  colinhester
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
I bought this combo pack from amazon.com, and I could not be happier. The compressor is strong enough to run a frameing nailer, but with the 18 ga. nailer it's big enough to charge once a night and shoot 2 sticks of nails before charging. Also, amazon.com offers $25 off any orders over $200, and, as always, free shipping and no tax.....Colin

Re: Need advice - new air compressor [message #29262 is a reply to message #29261] Mon, 27 September 2004 17:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Thank you, Colin.

You've had no problems with it then? I've read some pretty negative things about PC compressors.

Re: Need advice - new air compressor [message #29263 is a reply to message #29262] Tue, 28 September 2004 15:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
I have had no problems with this compressor or the nailers since purchasing approx. six months ago. I have used this system 2-3 times a week for trim work, and have put up approx. 2000' of trim in my house w/o a single misfire. The amazon link I previously posted has 31 5-star reviews and 4 4-star (from what I remember off the top of my head.) There are a coupe of guys on my street that own this same system, and I have not heard a single complaint. PC has a break-in procedure to "seat" the compressor, and they state in the manual that the life will be dramatically shortened if not followed.

Since I don't hang out on woodworking boards, I really cannot say if PC has a good or bad rep. Obviously you have heard bad things and that is something to question me on. But from my experience, this has been a good investment.

If you still have some reservations about PC, look at overstock.com. They have Schultz (sp?) compressors marked down. I am not familiar with this brand, but the pricing suggests they are rather high end.

Best of luck and please keep us up-to-date on what you decide and for what reason.....Colin

Correction [message #29267 is a reply to message #29262] Thu, 30 September 2004 13:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
I just looked at overstock.com, and it seems they have a lot fewer compressors than they did the other day. Sorry for the bad info. On the other hand, I just received a tool catalogue from amazon.com/toolcrib. It looks loke they are having a sale. One compressor that looked interesting: D55155; it's a DeWalt for $329...Again, sorry.....Colin

Hi Colin [message #29268 is a reply to message #29267] Fri, 01 October 2004 03:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Bought a new compressor yesterday. I bought a Dewalt 55151 because I looked at the PC pancake compressor and thought that it didn't look too sturdy. I was especially bothered about the rubber hose from the compressor to the receiver - the Dewalt at least has flared copper tube.

Also, I was talking to another guy about one of his very old compressors - he said it's an Emglo - it's still running after about 20 years. When I saw the DeWalt it had Emglo stenciled acrosss the receiver, so I took that as a good omen.

It was more than I wanted to spend ($239) but when I saw the Porter-Cable side-by-side at $179 it seemed worth the difference.

And thanks for your help, Colin! [message #29269 is a reply to message #29268] Fri, 01 October 2004 03:49 Go to previous message
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
nt

Previous Topic: My Latest !!! enjoy
Next Topic: Solid Oak Pi 7?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 11:11:17 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio