Home » Audio » Craftsmen » No table saw? No problem - build a sawboard
No table saw? No problem - build a sawboard [message #29252] Mon, 20 September 2004 18:17 Go to next message
colinhester is currently offline  colinhester
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Saw this on the Parts Express Tech Talk forum. Looks pretty cool and easy to build......Colin

Re: A stupid good tool [message #29253 is a reply to message #29252] Wed, 22 September 2004 19:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The Auntie-Polly is currently offline  The Auntie-Polly
Esquire
I've been making and using them for 30 years.
Bill

A stupid good tool - impressions? [message #29254 is a reply to message #29253] Wed, 22 September 2004 20:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Are they really that good? Seems like on of those things that's too good to be true.....Colin

Re: A stupid good tool - impressions? [message #29255 is a reply to message #29254] Wed, 22 September 2004 23:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bill Martinelli is currently offline  Bill Martinelli
Illuminati (1st Degree)

Absolutely.

With a so-so quality saw you can make good cuts.

with good saw and a good blade, expect exceptional cuts. by good saw I mean the base is perfectly square to the blade and has no bearing runout or wobble. A good blade with carbide and many teeth will help to control chip out.

Bill's correct, these confodelments have been a trade trick for decades. make yourself an 8' a 4' and a 2' and your golden. the drawback to this arrangement is it's more time consuming.

other Bill

Exactly what I needed to know [message #29256 is a reply to message #29255] Wed, 22 September 2004 23:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Thanks, Making multiple lengths is a great idea. Funny thing: I just saw a saw board in this month's issue of "Family Handyman.".....Colin

Re: No table saw? No problem - build a sawboard [message #29257 is a reply to message #29252] Thu, 23 September 2004 07:28 Go to previous message
GarMan is currently offline  GarMan
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
I took a week off last month for a furniture building course and was amazing at how simple some of the "tricks" were. I was most impressed by examples of "woodworking math", where complex geometry problems were solved without any calculations at all. I came out of that course realizing that woodworking isn't so much skill-based, but rather knowledge-based.

Another idea that really sunk in was that you don't build things to fit against a ruler, but rather against each other. Don't waste time measuring something with a ruler or a mic if you can use that piece directly as a guide. This sawboard is a perfect example of that.

gar.

Previous Topic: Back to square one, so to speak
Next Topic: Need advice on etching, primer, and finish coat to aluminum chassis?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 05:50:21 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio