Home » Audio » Craftsmen » Back to square one, so to speak
Back to square one, so to speak [message #29237] Sun, 29 August 2004 14:42 Go to next message
lon is currently offline  lon
Illuminati (2nd Degree)

I noticed I had this huge problem getting my rotozip tool
circle cutter to make a cutout the same size... ever.

The centering pin might be loosening up as I work the device.

Other problem is I am using the smallest diameter the
circlemaker has, so I can't simply set it lower.

The centering pin is this big fat sloppy thing. I'd
be better off to use one odf those $6 attachments for
a jig saw, but again, I'm trying to use the smallest
dimension for 4" drivers in an array project.

I don't know if there's any help for this or not (?)

In any case, the box of 50 cent speaks I got on closeout
does not suggest any new tool purchases right now... not
until Sir Fitz gets his line array published. :-)

Re: Back to square one, so to speak [message #29238 is a reply to message #29237] Mon, 30 August 2004 06:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bill Fitzmaurice is currently offline  Bill Fitzmaurice
Grand Master
I do all my holes up to 4 inches with good quality (Greenlee,Lenox) holesaws. The expense is well worth the reduction in frustration levels.

Re: Back to square one, so to speak [message #29239 is a reply to message #29238] Mon, 30 August 2004 09:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (2nd Degree)

Hi Bill,

Yes there is a lot of frustration with the variance
in cutouts doing it with hand tools.

I have used a 3" hole saw. Any problems handling
a 4" hole saw in a standard hand drill without having
forearms like Popeye the Sailor? ;-)

Are there any speed and power issues?

Anyway, right now I am still making a sample build
of a line array with 50 cent speaks and scraps. Foam
insulation used to gasket the mounting fills in the
gaps for now.

Is chamfering the backside of the cutout part of
your technique for the line array? (Maybe should take this
into the line array forum.)

I am learning how to do parallel hookup with these
with alligator clip leads: plus to plus and minus to minus.

Re: Back to square one, so to speak [message #29240 is a reply to message #29239] Mon, 30 August 2004 10:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Grand Master
I use holesaws with a drill press whenever possible; they are tricky with hand held drills. With a hand held I use a heavy duty 1/2" drill at 800-1000 RPM with the workpiece clamped to the workbench.

I did use a 1/2" radius quarter round router bit to chamfer the inner side of the mounting holes to allow me to get in there with a tube of silicone sealeant to seal the drivers to the baffle.

Re: Back to square one, so to speak [message #29241 is a reply to message #29237] Mon, 30 August 2004 13:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
colinhester is currently offline  colinhester
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Again, Check out Harbor Freight (http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=44506) for a pretty inexpensive drill press. If there's one in your area, be sure to sign up on line for discount coupons (5% for $50 and 10% over $100.) Also, I would check out the local paper for deals or garage sales. Drill presses are pretty easy to come by, and I think it would save you a world of frustration......Colin

Re: Hey Bill, can you just cut a slot? [message #29242 is a reply to message #29238] Mon, 30 August 2004 16:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The Auntie-Polly is currently offline  The Auntie-Polly
Esquire
Would cutting a 4" slot and placing the drivers right next to each other work? Or do they have to have some distance between them?

Re: Back to square one, so to speak [message #29243 is a reply to message #29239] Mon, 30 August 2004 19:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wunhuanglo is currently offline  wunhuanglo
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
I saw a guy jam a Milwaukee 1/2" right angle drill (mine) with a 4-1/2" hole saw one time - broke his arm.

Re: Back to square one, so to speak [message #29244 is a reply to message #29243] Mon, 30 August 2004 21:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (2nd Degree)

So he used one of those cement drills that looks like
a jackhammer?

All I have is a Craftmen hand drill of modest size...
got it used, not sure what it's HP is or anything.

Re: Hey Bill, can you just cut a slot? [message #29245 is a reply to message #29242] Tue, 31 August 2004 06:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Grand Master
A slot is acoustically better than holes since it minimizes the distance between the drivers; the trick would lie in making the whole thing airtight. Also, a straight slot could cause problems with the mounting screws depending on the particular driver frame configuration. I went with holes to maintain structural integrity and keep things simple.

Re: Back to square one, so to speak [message #29246 is a reply to message #29241] Wed, 01 September 2004 08:23 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Jeff Robinson is currently offline  Jeff Robinson
Chancellor

I hope it's better than it's predecessor (model 7242). I bought one and consider it a toy grade machine. The motor burned out after cutting about 20 3.5" holes (I set the spindle speed to the correct RPM for each hole saw size I used). I now have a much better unit from Ryobi, #WDP1850. It's also rated at 1/3 Hp but the motor is about 4 times the size of the (alleged) 1/3 Hp Chinese motor on the Central Machinery (Harbor Freight) unit.

good luck

Jeff

Previous Topic: Other plywood tricks
Next Topic: No table saw? No problem - build a sawboard
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Apr 24 01:49:44 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers