Home » Audio » Craftsmen » Other plywood tricks
Other plywood tricks [message #29219] Wed, 18 August 2004 13:57 Go to next message
lon is currently offline  lon
Illuminati (2nd Degree)

The most exotic cutting trick I know comes from Terry Cain
which is a mitered furniture joint that gives a total of
one inch of glue line. Can't recall the name but it;s
a combination of miters an figersh that only a furniture
shop has the tolerances for.

At the local level here, I made a stab at using
quarter round and butt joints to get an edge treatment.
The quarter round a.) was not milled to the same dimension
as the plywood I have and b.) trying to cut oak quarter
round in a $3 miter box is not real reliable.

So I'm wondering what can be suggested here for joinery besides
butt joints and biscuits. Splines have occured to me, but ripping
the edge of plywood is asking for trouble.

I got curious about what could be found at a picture
frame shop. But they prob'ly charge for that stuff by the
inch.

Re: The veddy British 'Housing Joint' [message #29221 is a reply to message #29219] Wed, 18 August 2004 20:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The Auntie-Polly is currently offline  The Auntie-Polly
Esquire
Lon, grab a piece of plywood 3/4" thick. Put a 3/8" Dado stack in your table saw and set the fence for a 3/8" cut, 3/8" deep. You'll have to play around a bit because the 3/4" plywood is actually 23/32. What you want to arrive at is a fence and blade depth seting that puts a rabbet on the edge that is exactly 1/2 of the thickness of the plywood in both dimensions.
Run the plywood on edge and cut the rabbett.
Now move the fence back another 1/2 width, approx 3/8" so you cut a groove approx 3/8 from the END of the board you are joining. That's a Dado. 3/8 from the edge, 3/8 wide and 3/8 deep.
The tongue you made on the EDGE of the one panel will fit perfectly into the groove you made on the inside FACE of the other.
That's a housing joint. It's very strong not just from the increased gluing surface but a good mechanical joint too.
The Terry Cain recommended joint is a LOCK MITER and is easy to cut with a set of lock miter cutters and a router table. NBD

Re: The veddy British 'Housing Joint' [message #29224 is a reply to message #29221] Thu, 19 August 2004 23:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (2nd Degree)

A very good lesson.

Unfortunately I don't have a dado stack or table.

I have a helper who has the saw but no fancy blades.

That's why I'm butting everything. I'd like to see a deal
on a biscuit jointer. Maybe some day.

Re: The veddy British 'Housing Joint' [message #29225 is a reply to message #29221] Fri, 20 August 2004 05:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wunhuanglo is currently offline  wunhuanglo
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
If you want to see some fancy-ass joinery, get a copy of Fine Woodworking's "On Making Period Furniture" and look at the article on Mr. Emmet's building of a reproduction Newport kneehole bureau.

He built it from a photo, never actually having seen one. I've been up close and personal with a Goddard original, and seeing how far Emmet took it, it's hard to imagine a there ever being greater American cabinetmaker than Emmet.

That man was some kind of skilled.

Biscuit joiner deal [message #29226 is a reply to message #29224] Fri, 20 August 2004 06:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
colinhester is currently offline  colinhester
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Check out Harbor Freight (www.harborfreight.com). They have a biscuit joiner for around $40.

Re: Biscuit joiner deal [message #29227 is a reply to message #29226] Fri, 20 August 2004 12:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (2nd Degree)

One of those just moved into town but I don't recall seeing
a biscuit machine that low. Will have a look soon.

Re: Freud strikes again! [message #29228 is a reply to message #29227] Fri, 20 August 2004 18:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The Auntie-Polly is currently offline  The Auntie-Polly
Esquire
100 bucks. Had one for years. Nothing fancy.

Re: Freud strikes again! [message #29229 is a reply to message #29228] Fri, 20 August 2004 19:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (2nd Degree)

I checked out the ones at Harbor Freight. They were
$40 as stated.

Someday in the future they might run those on deal.

Right now I am practicing with my other gizmo: RotoZip
clone with circle cutter.

I have not been able to bring myself to spring for
Jasper circle cutters with my level of inexperience.

I have a Freud as well. [message #29230 is a reply to message #29228] Sat, 21 August 2004 08:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bill Fitzmaurice is currently offline  Bill Fitzmaurice
Grand Master
You're right, nothing fancy, and you can't use it on mitered joints. I got mine as a gift; if I had to replace it I'd go Porter-Cable.

Don't need no stinking saw [message #29236 is a reply to message #29224] Fri, 27 August 2004 20:48 Go to previous message
GarMan is currently offline  GarMan
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Ion,

Don't need a tablesaw to do the joint Bill described. You can do it with a router, an upcut bit, a rabbeting cutter with bearing and a guide. That's what I used on my current JBL project. See posting in High Eff Forum here.

gar.

Previous Topic: Using a fly cutter
Next Topic: Back to square one, so to speak
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 18 04:34:15 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers