Home » Audio » Craftsmen » Couple of Poly questions
Couple of Poly questions [message #29194] Sun, 08 August 2004 08:32 Go to next message
James W. Johnson is currently offline  James W. Johnson
Master
I recently finished my Pi speakers with Teak veneer and Polyurathane coating, this was of course before I knew how difficult this stuff is to work with.

I finished with Mixwax wipe on poly then finally sprayed them with Mixwax spray poly, all in satin.
Anyhow this was a few weeks ago and I am happy with the look but the texture is not smooth on the tops and in a few other spots...the look is uniform but its been bothering me that the texture is not even.

Id like to take the speakers apart and try again, how can I get an even texture this time? What did I do wrong? Should I just use the wipe on poly instead?

thanks

Re: Couple of Poly questions [message #29195 is a reply to message #29194] Sun, 08 August 2004 08:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
James W. Johnson is currently offline  James W. Johnson
Master
BTW I want a smooth table top like finish.

Re: Couple of Poly questions [message #29196 is a reply to message #29195] Sun, 08 August 2004 15:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bill Fitzmaurice is currently offline  Bill Fitzmaurice
Grand Master
If the finish is OK you can probably salvage it without going to bare wood. What kind of wood is it and how smooth do you want it? Furniture smooth or Steinway smooth? Simply taking it down with some 220 grit paper to smooth and then spraying on a couple of coats of aerosol poly may be adequate, but for a piano finish it's a lot more work.

Re: Polly-urethane [message #29197 is a reply to message #29194] Sun, 08 August 2004 18:12 Go to previous message
Auntie Polly is currently offline  Auntie Polly
Esquire
I think this is a deja vu thread; didn't I just read that?
Bill had the method for sanding down the urethane for a fine finish. I never tried for fine with urethane. You might go back and do the wet sanding as described. If it were solid wood I would say take it down with a belt sander but it's veneer as I recall so you can't do that.
These certainly won't be the last speakers you build so maybe you should enjoy them and think about an oil based finish for next time.Good 'ole Watco applied with the Tage Frid (He just passed on BTW, G-d rest his soul) method gives outstanding results. Best is my and every other pro woodworkers Grand dad's method for Tung oil in 6 easy steps. It's at the URL. There's also a video you can buy from Taunton Press that features Frank Klaus, "now we apply the Warnish" using much the same technique. They also have one with Jim Minnick who discusses the chemistry of various film and penetrating finishes from a chemists a pro finishers POV.

Previous Topic: First routing experiences less than rousing
Next Topic: Whats everyone building?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 17:36:03 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout