Home » Audio » Craftsmen » How to Flush-mount Irregular Shapes?
How to Flush-mount Irregular Shapes? [message #29151] Tue, 13 July 2004 14:35 Go to next message
GarMan is currently offline  GarMan
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Alright. So flush-mounting circular drivers is pretty straight-forward. But how best to flush-mount the irregular shapes, or objects where external dimensions are not a constant offset of the baffle cutout? For example, plastic horn flares or four-sided drivers.

From what I've seen, I have to cut out my own template from the shape that I want to flush mount, adjusting for the template guide, and use the template to cut out the indent. But how does one cut an accurate template? If I can follow a pencil line that well, I might as well cut the indent out free-hand, without taking the step of making the template.

Gar.

Re: How to Flush-mount Irregular Shapes? [message #29152 is a reply to message #29151] Tue, 13 July 2004 16:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BillEpstein is currently offline  BillEpstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Somewhere on either PE or the Full Range Forum someone had a tutorial on doing just that. Search flush mount, I guess. You could also walk into a Woodcraft or Rockler and they would be happy to show you how to use brass collars they'll sell you for your router for your router.Doesn't quite come out in a few words but basically you're cutting a template that is 1/2 diameter of the collar away from the fit of the driver. Once the template is cut you mark it and save it and the routing is a snap.

Re: How to Flush-mount Irregular Shapes? [message #29155 is a reply to message #29152] Wed, 14 July 2004 09:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GarMan is currently offline  GarMan
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Thanks for the tip. Found a link and it seems simple enough.
Bill, do you prefer to cut the flush mount recess before or after you veneer?

Re: After. No worries about depth of bearing on trimmimg bit. nt [message #29156 is a reply to message #29155] Wed, 14 July 2004 11:37 Go to previous message
BillEpstein is currently offline  BillEpstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)

Previous Topic: Anybody here using the Forrest WW II ?
Next Topic: Staples Redux
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 04:56:01 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout