Home » Audio » Craftsmen » Cutting a cut-out in 40mm maple
Cutting a cut-out in 40mm maple [message #29127] Tue, 29 June 2004 03:16 Go to next message
Brian C. is currently offline  Brian C.
Esquire
Hello, "Craftsman" I am not. Always bottom of the class in Woodwork at school so touting for advice.
I have taken delivery of a small solid maple work-top 40mm thick in which I wish to mount my Garrard 401 turntable and SME 3012 arm. I have the appropriate templates, a Black & Decker jigsaw and a De Walt router. Looking at the the thickness of the material and the tools at my disposal my confidence falters. Constructive suggestions/guidance would be much appreciated.
Thanks.

Brian.

Can you describe what the template looks like? (nt) [message #29130 is a reply to message #29127] Tue, 29 June 2004 07:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GarMan is currently offline  GarMan
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
nt

Re: Cutting a cut-out in 40mm maple [message #29132 is a reply to message #29127] Tue, 29 June 2004 14:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bill Fitzmaurice is currently offline  Bill Fitzmaurice
Grand Master
Trying to cut 40mm maple with anything from Black & Decker will be as fruitful as throwing spitballs at an elephant. All you'll get is dulled and broken blades for your efforts. The router had better be 3 horsepower with 1/2" shaft bits or they'll suffer the same result. I'd take it to your local lumberyard that has a full woodworking shop, or a profesional cabinet maker, and have them do the cutting with professional grade tools. Routing that maple even with a 3 horse router could take hours at 1/32 inch per pass; a pro will do it in 15 minutes with a Bridgeport vertical shaper. What you have to pay to do the job will be well worth it.

Re: Cutting a cut-out in 40mm maple [message #29135 is a reply to message #29132] Tue, 29 June 2004 16:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bill Martinelli is currently offline  Bill Martinelli
Illuminati (1st Degree)

"Trying to cut 40mm maple with anything from Black & Decker will be as fruitful as throwing spitballs at an elephant."

I suppose in general that's true. I have a 8" super sawcat by Black and Decker that plows through 8/4 maple. Actually the big B&D worm drive does fairly well but the thing is really contruction only.

They have made a handfull of good things but are better known for the not so good things!

Bill

Re: I figgered out that's 1 1/2", yes? [message #29136 is a reply to message #29127] Tue, 29 June 2004 19:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BillEpstein is currently offline  BillEpstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
B&D bashing aside, DeWalt doesn't make less than a 2horse router that I know of. And the B&D jigsaw prolly is 3.5 to 4 amps. And I'll bet you have a drill?
So use the make-a-mortise-with-a-drill technique. Not elegant, but it works.
Mark the workpiece with the template. Drill 3/4" holes 1/8" inside the lines. Space them so that they almost touch each other but not quite. 1/8 to 1/4" apart. All the way around the perimeter.
Cut to within an 1/8" of the line with the jigsaw.
Now use the router to trim to the line.
Maybe you have to wotk the jigsaw and router from both sides, that's okay. Just stay inside the lines. Use sandpaper and files to get to it if need be.
You have lot's of time and little bit maple.
******OR********
Take Fitz' advice and get a small cabinet shop to do it. $100 I'd wager. Or RENT a BIGASS Porter-Cable 3 HP Speedmatic router for 25 or 30 bucks a day.
Show us the result.............

It is a prerequisite to be named Bill to understand this stuff? (nt) [message #29137 is a reply to message #29127] Tue, 29 June 2004 19:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GarMan is currently offline  GarMan
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
nt

Re: I figgered out that's 1 1/2", yes? [message #29138 is a reply to message #29136] Tue, 29 June 2004 20:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bill Martinelli is currently offline  Bill Martinelli
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Good god, did someone say jigsaw? I need to get my hearing checked.

Hey Gar, The only prerequisite is a fundamental understanding and appreciation of quality.

Black and Decker [message #29139 is a reply to message #29135] Tue, 29 June 2004 20:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bill Fitzmaurice is currently offline  Bill Fitzmaurice
Grand Master
They used to make good stuff as well as KMart specials but a few years back whatever pro-grade tools they did make they repainted yellow and now market under the DeWalt label.

Thanks to both Bills! [message #29141 is a reply to message #29127] Wed, 30 June 2004 10:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Esquire
I'm taking a leaf out of the book of a friend who has just sunk a sink unit and a cooker hob into a worksurface - I'm going to start off with a hole-saw bit in my power drill, then will come the jigsaw (just purchased some more blades!) and finally finish with the router.

The template is a copy of the original Garrard print on a large sheet of paper. The dimensions are slightly out but it does state what the measurements between centres should be for the mounting holes so I should be able to get it down accurately.

I'm afraid over here in the UK it is not easy to find a helpful pro shop these days :o(

In the fullness of time a picture will appear....

Brian.

Cutting a cut-out in 40mm maple - Done! [message #29147 is a reply to message #29127] Wed, 07 July 2004 12:30 Go to previous message
Esquire
After marking out I drilled a few 10mm holes at strategic points and cut the thing easy-pleasy with my humble B&D jigsaw. No broken blade, no burnt-out motor. Phew, what a relief!

Now I need 3 temporary supports until my roller bearings show up...
I'll try an put a photo up when everything is finished.

Brian.

Previous Topic: Modular Speakers
Next Topic: Anybody here using the Forrest WW II ?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 09:36:01 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio