Home » Audio » Craftsmen » P-K 890 Series Routers
P-K 890 Series Routers [message #29116] Fri, 04 June 2004 02:43 Go to next message
elektratig is currently offline  elektratig
Grand Master
I'd been unhappy with my table-mounted router for some time, so I splurged the other week and bought one of the new Porter-Cable 890 series routers. The thing is incredible. What I noticed immediately was how quiet it is -- so quiet that I have to remind myself to turn the darn thing off. With hearing protection, I literally cannot hear it.

P-K has finally ditched the two-wrench bit changing system. I never found it a big deal, but some might.

The other thing that's wonderful is the above-the-table height adjustment. Works like a charm. What a pleasure -- no more fumbling around under the table. I'm a happy camper.

My only minor criticism so far is that the 10-24 screw holes in the router base, by which the base is attached to the table, do not go all the way through the base, so you must have machine screws of a very specific length, depending on the thickness of your plate or table. P-K supplies screws that, I believe, should work for the typical plate, so for most this should not be an issue. However, in my case, my table is just a piece of MDF on sawhorses. 3/4" screws were too short and 1" were too long. I wound up adding washers between the bottom of the table and the router base so I could use the 1" screws.

Re: P-K 890 Series Routers [message #29118 is a reply to message #29116] Sat, 05 June 2004 18:59 Go to previous message
BillEpstein is currently offline  BillEpstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Sounds good. Haven't seen them yet.
Why not just drill all the way through and tap 1/4-20 threads?

Previous Topic: a baffleing question
Next Topic: 'Insert Flap "A" And Throw it Away'
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 02:54:48 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout