Home » Audio » Craftsmen » wood windows
wood windows [message #29094] Tue, 25 May 2004 17:39 Go to next message
Frank Roesch is currently offline  Frank Roesch
Esquire
I am about to make about eight large windows--(about 2foot by 7 foot). What kind of wood is preferable in this kind of a project?

Re: wood windows [message #29095 is a reply to message #29094] Tue, 25 May 2004 20:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bill Martinelli is currently offline  Bill Martinelli
Illuminati (1st Degree)

For weather resistant properties. A new favorite is Ipe. very strong, hard and tougher to work with. You can get it in 5/4 decking and rip it up. Fir has always been a standard for wood windows. Redwood and Cedar are both very weather resistant but are soft. Cypress might be worth a look as well as White Oak.

There are a lots off woods that are good for window frames and sashes. If you want something easy to work then Fir is tops. Others that I have listed are great weather resisting woods. Some are harder to work with than others. For simple machining of window parts. Sharp tools and hard woods are always tops in my book.

Bill

Re: Isn't an "Ipe" something you look for in the oods with a ashlight and a ag? [message #29097 is a reply to message #29095] Wed, 26 May 2004 15:36 Go to previous message
BillEpstein is currently offline  BillEpstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
nt

Previous Topic: This guy has very good methods of work
Next Topic: Veneering video's
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 05:32:41 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio