Home » Audio » Craftsmen » Need to know how to fill gap
Need to know how to fill gap [message #29058] Thu, 22 April 2004 06:56 Go to next message
Adrian Mack is currently offline  Adrian Mack
Illuminati (1st Degree)

Heres a crappy picture of one one of the towers in the pair I did. Now... around the midrange horn, theres little gaps as in photos below:

I was thinkin bout getting wood filler, putting it all throughout the gap and then sanding it all over smooth. But then I wouldn't be able to take the midrange horn out, and I do want it to be removable.

What should I do to hide those gaps so it looks nice, but still be able to remove the midrange horn?

BTW: Its not air leaks or anything worrying me, because the tower is sectioned and the 15" driver has its own seperate section. It's just aesthetics.

Re: Need to know how to fill gap [message #29059 is a reply to message #29058] Thu, 22 April 2004 09:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bill Wassilak is currently offline  Bill Wassilak
Illuminati (1st Degree)
What about building a wood frame around the midnorn to hide the gaps, or possibly stretching grill cloth on a frame and attach to the front. Have it so the mid horn would have to slide out the rear of the cabinet. Just some ideas.

Bill W.

Midhorn mounting bracket [message #29060 is a reply to message #29058] Thu, 22 April 2004 09:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Wow, Adrian! Those speakers are shaping up nicely!

As for mounting your midrange horn, I'm looking forward to seeing replies from some of the cabnetry gurus here. But in the meantime, here are my thoughts.

Behind the midhorn, use a wood brace made of 2x4 wood stock. Cut it with a beveled edge so that the horn sides are flush with the bracket. This way, the horn can be attached with screws and removed from the front if needed.

Go to a carpet store. [message #29061 is a reply to message #29059] Thu, 22 April 2004 15:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bill Fitzmaurice is currently offline  Bill Fitzmaurice
Grand Master
One that sells carpet installation materials, to be exact. There is a product that is used to fill the gap where one section of flooring ends and another, such as door thresholds. It's made of a rubbery plastic, and is available in a variety of colors. From the end view it has a 'T' cross-section with a crowned top; the crown is about an inch wide; the upright leg goes down into the gap. I'd tell you the name of it but I don't remember; just used a bunch on a new floor project.

Re: Midhorn mounting bracket [message #29062 is a reply to message #29060] Thu, 22 April 2004 18:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Hi Wayne

I see, that would cover up the gap. But I dont have access to a saw which can do bevel cuts any more..... well, technically I do have a saw which can do bevel cuts, but its one of those old skil-sher circular saws where you gotta attach an electric drill to the side, and you hold the drill in one hand and the saw in the other - thats how the blade spins. It's big and cumbersome, and I hate using it.

My jigsaw can do bevel cuts though... but its not exactly the best tool in the world to use for something like this.

One other idea I had in my mind was to get some sort of acoustic felt/material, I can get stuff thats 5mm thick, and cut it to the size of the front baffle and glue it there, cutting out the cutouts in the material for the drivers and ports. It would also cover the gaps around the midrange horn and reduce diffraction too. I'm not sure if I want to do this though and the stuff isn't cheap either....

Re: Go to a carpet store. [message #29063 is a reply to message #29061] Thu, 22 April 2004 20:06 Go to previous message
Illuminati (1st Degree)
That sounds like a good idea. I might check the hardware store and see if they have any.

Previous Topic: Jim Beam or Johnny Walker?
Next Topic: White Ash Finishing Suggestions Wanted
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Apr 24 16:21:24 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout