Home » Audio » Craftsmen » Need advice on painting MDF
Need advice on painting MDF [message #29037] Sat, 10 April 2004 16:10 Go to next message
newsjeff is currently offline  newsjeff
Baron
Looking for tips on painting my Flexy Rack. I used 3/4" MDF and have primed with one coat so far. Any other suggestions before I start with the top coat? Thanks in advance.

Re: Need advice on painting MDF [message #29038 is a reply to message #29037] Sun, 11 April 2004 02:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wunhuanglo is currently offline  wunhuanglo
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
I'm not much of an expert, but two things to consider. If it doesn't look good in primer, it will only look worse with a finish coat. Several coats of primer sanded in between will make a big difference.

The second thing is that sanded areas and cut edges of MDF are unpaintable. You have to seal them with something (spot putty or Bondo or the like) to get a paintable surface.

I really like Krylon - you have to work at it to screw it up. Rustoleum is a better finish, but you have to be much more careful and it takes forever to dry between coats (not my long suit).

Hope that helps.

Re: Need advice on painting MDF [message #29039 is a reply to message #29038] Sun, 11 April 2004 14:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
newsjeff is currently offline  newsjeff
Baron
Thanks for the advice, Wun. Good point about the edges. They look terrible with the primer. I was concerned about finishing them they way they are now. A guy I work with just told me to use shellac on the edges. Makes sense to me. I think I have a good start on my project at this point. Thanks again.

Re: Spraying, rolling, brushing? [message #29040 is a reply to message #29039] Sun, 11 April 2004 19:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BillEpstein is currently offline  BillEpstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Don't know why properly sanded edges would look bad with paint? One thing though, you have to bondo EVERYWHERE an edge meets a plane, then prime, then use a 'body filler' like 'Icicle' on the places the primer reveals. Print through of the panel intersections is the main problem. A very good technique is to use reveals everywhere panels meet or use a BIG roundover bit that bites into those crevasses.
One or two good sealer coats and then 5 or 6 color coats should look great. Put a clear coat on top.

Re: Spraying, rolling, brushing? [message #29041 is a reply to message #29040] Sun, 11 April 2004 19:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wunhuanglo is currently offline  wunhuanglo
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
My experience painting MDF is that once the smooth, "sealed" factory surface is cut or sanded it becomes infinitely porous. No matter how many coats or what paint (spray only) that I used it always showed flatter than the surrounding areas.

Maybe I didn't sand well enough? I don't know, but I don't think that's the problem. It's like painting a roll of toilet paper, end on.

Re: Spraying, rolling, brushing? [message #29042 is a reply to message #29041] Sun, 11 April 2004 21:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bill Martinelli is currently offline  Bill Martinelli
Illuminati (1st Degree)

Have never painted mdf for a finish but after painting some bits and pieces just for the sake of it. I noticed the edged are like you say.
I wounder how bullseye123 would work? maybe it would seal it? There must be some kind of seal coat you can put on the whole project so its not continuing to soak up the paint.

Bill

Re: Hmmmmmm................ [message #29043 is a reply to message #29042] Mon, 12 April 2004 03:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BillEpstein is currently offline  BillEpstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)

My latest painted project, the white speaks were sprayed by a friend with what he called "catalysed Acrylic" from Sherwin-Williams. I wasn't there when the work was done but did notice the primer coat was beige. He said "that was what was in the gun". I'll ask him if it was a sealer or just the paint thinned.
Other times I have brushed, rolled and sponged MDF never had the soak up problems but I was putting on very thick coats and then sponging a texture.
Let you know what the painter says as soon as I see him.

Re: Hmmmmmm................ [message #29044 is a reply to message #29043] Mon, 12 April 2004 22:04 Go to previous message
Bill Martinelli is currently offline  Bill Martinelli
Illuminati (1st Degree)

Those white speakers look great. I didn't any seal coat and just sprayed a few light coats of color. Primer would no doubt help!

Previous Topic: For Beginners
Next Topic: Nice Sub Design
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 20 04:07:52 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout