Home » Audio » Craftsmen » Table saw recommendations?
Re: sucky Ryobi - Sorry, I disagree [message #29010 is a reply to message #29008] Wed, 31 March 2004 18:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wunhuanglo is currently offline  wunhuanglo
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
The bearings were awful - the blade wobbled to a ridiculous degree; very rough cutting. And it was seriously underpowered, even with a thin-kerf blade.

AnD no, I don't think it was defective. I sent it to the factory and it came back as bad or worse.

Too much attention devoted to gimmicks, not enough to basics.

Re: More space than saw [message #29011 is a reply to message #28990] Wed, 31 March 2004 22:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bill Martinelli is currently offline  Bill Martinelli
Illuminati (1st Degree)

You need lots of space to work with sheet goods. Space is a big help. Being cramped in or unstable just makes it harder. For all intents and purpose you could bolt a skilsaw to a sheet of plywood, mounted upside down on horses with a 2x4 for a rip fence! Course that only works for a while. Cast iron seems to hold its shape a little better than lumber.

I've seen guys with 2000 dollar saw that cant cut a square board. I've seen setups with the little portable 10" saw's basically embedded into a huge infeed and outfeed table. Will something like this last as long as a Unisaw or similar? no of course not. But it can do a super job when you put your mind to it and you don't have a ton of bread to shake out for a big saw, or a bigger slider.

I think I found the Picher in the freezer...

If your not precutting your sheets before you cut finished panels your going to need 18' of space. 8' out of the blade and 8' in front plus 2' to stand. not to mention room to store sheets and move them around. Its nice to have a 4x8 table for an outfeed. Nice to have close to that for an infeed table too. This could give you some nice flat areas for assembly when your all done cutting for a while.

Blades are worth more than you might think. Anything from a home center is not going to make nice cuts for you. Chip out and wavy kerfs really suck in 50 dollar a sheet oak. Can get you pretty depressed in 120 dollar a sheet walnut. and If you have some nice Mapa or Teak at 175-200 a sheet, that 40 dollar blade is just a stepping stone to suicide.

Lots of high dollar commercial blades but there are a few available that are affordable for home shops. Forrest used to be only commercial now for a 100 bucks you can get one almost any place. CMT isn't bad but get dull quick. Freud? save your money. They are only a nice blade till you use a blade. Lately I use Amana blades. The 80 tooth will crosscut sheet veneer as well as a underscore slider does. (cant go as fast though) The 40 tooth blade is usually on the saw since the 80 tooth chokes with anything over 3/4" and has one purpose only, sheets. Get a deep gullet rip blade if your going to rip up a lot of glue joints.

The main jist here is it takes some skill to cut straight, clean, square panels from any saw. If your trying to strong arm a full sheet around a little saw with one of those cute roller things,, chances are your going to get hurt. And mom said it wouldn't be fun when you loose an eye right?

Have some nice tables for the small saws, Keep things solid and ridged with out flexing and bounce. Get a good blade that cuts clean and straight. Thin kerf blades have a purpose. You don't need one.
Wax your tables and saw top. So you cant afford an Altendorf, at least make it so the board doesn't stick to an old rusty saw top.
Tune up your saw so the blade is square to the miter slot, fence, etc. Lots of good articles on how to tune up your saw.

Practice. Patience. work calmly. enjoy what you do.

Re: follow-up [message #29015 is a reply to message #29007] Fri, 02 April 2004 06:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
crazychile is currently offline  crazychile
Baron
Got it! Thanks!

Re: Wait a minute [message #29022 is a reply to message #29004] Fri, 02 April 2004 21:35 Go to previous message
Bill Martinelli is currently offline  Bill Martinelli
Illuminati (1st Degree)

The trunions are movable under the saws table. This allows for alignment of the blade to miter slots. If the blade is not square to the track it wont make a difference to the squareness of the piece cut. It will as you suggest make a ratty edge. This is called 'heeling' when the back of the blade is cutting outside the kerf. There are lots of article and probably books on how to tune up a saw.

To take the affect of heeling even further to a useful purpose. It's possible to cut very large coves on a table saw by setting a fence at an angle and pushing across the blade in a sideways fashion. light passes, great care and danger is involved. read up on this before trying it at home.

Bill

Previous Topic: Tube PreAmp - Done! (almost)
Next Topic: For Beginners
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 07:43:55 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout