Home » Audio » Craftsmen » Table saw recommendations?
Table saw recommendations? [message #28990] Mon, 29 March 2004 06:47 Go to next message
crazychile is currently offline  crazychile
Baron
I am totally inexperienced when it comes to woodworking. I have a small Delta 10in. table saw but it wont work for cutting 4x8 sheets of wood accurately. After a breif search it looks like there isn't a fence available for it that will do what I want.

So I am wondering what you guys like for table saws and what features I should look for. Model #'s would be helpfull also. I really just want the ability to make speaker boxes and I'll probably try to rebuild my kitchen cabinets at some time. Heres the catch, I really don't want to spend more than $500 if possible. Can this be done or am I dreaming?

The local autosound installer had a saw once that was set up like a big easel where the saw moved vertically to cut the 4x8 sheet that was also vertical. It seemed pretty accurate. Is something like that in my price range?

Any info appreciated!
crazychile

Re: Table saw recommendations? [message #28991 is a reply to message #28990] Mon, 29 March 2004 07:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dean Kukral is currently offline  Dean Kukral
Master
When I have a project, I usually have the store cut the 4x8 into slightly oversize pieces and then I neatly trim them when I get home. They do it for free or for a nominal fee.

I doubt that you can do much for under $500, but I have not looked.

I suggest that you get one of those fences for portable power hand saws. You clamp the fence to the 4x8 and run the saw along side of the fence. They are not too expensive.

Re: Table saw recommendations? [message #28992 is a reply to message #28990] Mon, 29 March 2004 07:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ryder is currently offline  Ryder
Esquire
Hi:
I am hardly an expert myself and will be intereseted in what some others have to say here.

I think it is quite hard to get what you want unless you stumble onto something used and then tweak it a little. My home brew answers were always slow and a bit awkward. To get really good cuts, without a lot of set up time, you need a steady and large table and steady blade and a square fence. A lot to ask at your price point. My answer was to buy my big pieces from a lumber yard in town that does a lot of custom work. They make the first cuts and bring it down to a size for the project where my smaller table can handle them nicely. This solution was just to easy to bother with anything else. I will never have the table they use. Handling full sheets by yourself on typical home ($500 table) equipment is not easy.

Cheers
Craig Ryder

follow-up [message #28993 is a reply to message #28991] Mon, 29 March 2004 07:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Master
I have looked and tried to find a reference to the thing I was describing, but I keep getting the wrong thing.

What I am describing is a piece of aluminum railing about four feet long that you clamp to the plywood and run your saw along the edge, keeping a straight line. I suppose that you could do the same with a length of wood, but then you would not get to buy a neat new tool.

I have seen these in the woodworking magazines.

Re: Table saw recommendations? [message #28994 is a reply to message #28990] Mon, 29 March 2004 16:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
elektratig is currently offline  elektratig
Grand Master
Crazychile,

You are describing a panel saw: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00006LPP9/qid=1080601120/sr=1-10/ref=sr_1_10/103-7772060-7408635?v=glance&s=hi

I am no expert, but from hanging out at woodworking forums I believe that even experienced woodworkers don't generally try to wrestle large sheets of plywood or MDF onto their tablesaws. They use a good old circular saw and a clamped straight edge or a sawboard. I cut panels slightly oversize with this method, then finish on a tablesaw. If you take your time and measure carefully, you can get extremely accurate results with a circular saw.

If you want a tablesaw (not a panel saw), the best deal on the planet is the Ryobi BT3100. I love mine. Check out http://www.bt3central.com . You can do searches on http://www.woodworking.com and other forums to get views on other saws by the likes of Delta, Jet, Grizzly, etc.

Good luck!

Re: Table saw recommendations? [message #28995 is a reply to message #28990] Mon, 29 March 2004 16:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wunhuanglo is currently offline  wunhuanglo
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
I think you may have the wrong idea about this whole thing.

Most non-commercial table saws are 10". Even on big Powermatics and similar saws cutting a full sheet of plywood by yourself is next to impossible without additional fixturing (infeed and outfeed tables, etc...)

You don't mention the saw you have (portable, floor standing, etc...) but Delta is a good name. You need to go to Fine Woodworking and find either some articles or books on how to handle large panels and using a table saw.

The saw you describe at the installer's is a panel saw. Unless it's something the likes of which I've never seen it's a lot more than $500 and not especially accurate.

Re: follow-up [message #28996 is a reply to message #28993] Tue, 30 March 2004 06:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
crazychile is currently offline  crazychile
Baron
Thanks for all the help everyone! I knew I came to the right place.

1. Thanks for the comment about my approach. The circular saw idea makes a lot of sense. I need a new circular saw anyway, so I'll keep that extra guide in mind when I buy.

2. I'll still need a new table saw, (I'll check out the Ryobi)my current Delta (I dont know the model#) was a Fathers day present a couple of years ago and could be mounted on a table, but I use the included stand. I would guess that the saw was between $200-250 when new. The problem is that the top surface is small. I would estimate that the top dimensions are around 18x24. So its impossible to cut anything but small pieces with any degree of accuracy. Even if I were to have someone cut down a large sheet for me, the remaining pcs.are still too big. I built 1 pi's a while back and even the pcs. for those were too big to use with the built in guides on the Delta.

crazychile

Re: follow-up [message #28997 is a reply to message #28996] Tue, 30 March 2004 06:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bill Fitzmaurice is currently offline  Bill Fitzmaurice
Grand Master

Here's how I do it, and I've made more than a few cabinets. Cut your sheet goods with a circular saw, but don't try to be accurate, make the parts an inch or so oversize. Use the table saw to trim them to finished size, and that's best done using a panel cutting jig that sits atop the table; you put the part to be cut on the jig and the jig and part both go across the saw top; perfect cuts everytime. A fancy table saw or $400 fence is not required; my saw is a $200 Sears, and my panel cutting jig I made from a 2x3 foot piece of plywood and some scrap wood. This picture shows the jig on top of my saw.

http://hometown.aol.com/fitzmauricew/myhomepage/photo.html

Re: follow-up [message #28998 is a reply to message #28997] Tue, 30 March 2004 18:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Master
That's a good suggestion!

Norm Abrams (New Yankee Workshop) showed one of these some years back, and I made one. It made working with larger pieces much easier. Mine fell apart, and I have been too lazy to replace it. (But I should have!) You have to be sure to get the back side perpendicular to the tracks, or it will not cut square.

Re: All this is good stuff and.......... [message #28999 is a reply to message #28990] Tue, 30 March 2004 20:32 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
BillEpstein is currently offline  BillEpstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
especially the jig mentioned by Sr. Fitz. Best build fir that is 2 of the bars that let your miter gauge slide in the slot. But you still have that little bitty table and what, 20" rip capacity?
The BT3100 is a really great saw with a 32" capacity and just $300. I haven't tried one but it looks good for occasional cabinet work.
Best of all is to find a used Delta 36-444 Contractors saw. Or the older Sears that's quite similar. They have 27" wide tables and you can even put a 50" Biesmeyer fence on one.
Before I had a table saw I used the factory edge of a piece of plywood screwed and glued to a piece of hardboard. You use enough width of plywood so that you can clamp it to the workpiece w/o the motor housing of the saw getting in the way and enough width of masonite so when you make the first cut, the masonite that's left attached to the plywood is forever a cutting guide.
As for the saw, don't think twice, get the Makita 100x. Other good ones but it's the best value by far.
Oh yeah, nobody uses it anymore, not me either but there was a time when making the cut on the saw guide was done with a router, not a saw. Nice clean edge, ya see.

Previous Topic: Tube PreAmp - Done! (almost)
Next Topic: For Beginners
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Apr 24 11:25:20 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout