Home » Audio » Craftsmen » Theater 4 problems
Theater 4 problems [message #28968] Fri, 05 March 2004 17:25 Go to next message
newsjeff is currently offline  newsjeff
Baron
I finally got my second Pi Theater 4 kit from Wayne. The first kit/speaker sounds great. When I installed the components in the second speaker cabinet, the bass in the Delta 15 was not there. I could hear some sound, but barley. I re-checked the polarity in the hookup wires. They are fine. Everything is connected correctly.
I thought, OK, I'll just switch the Delta 15s from the left to the right speaker and see if the problem was with either the speaker, one of the cables, the crossover, whatever. Now I have more problems.
I used T-nuts and machine screws to attach the Deltas to the cabinets. I cannot, for the life of me, get the last screw out of the T-nut on one of the speakers. At this point, I think I will have to use a hacksaw and cut the bolt. In the meantime, I have bent the connections on one of the Delta 15s, too. And the lack of bass is still bothering me. Any suggestions out there?

Re: Theater 4 problems [message #28969 is a reply to message #28968] Fri, 05 March 2004 18:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Oh, yuck. I hate problems like the one you're having with the bolt. I'll take the electronics problems over those any day of the week.

I think you're on the right track though - Swap out stuff and see where the problem is by a process of elimination. Be sure to check out your connections, although I know I didn't need to tell you that. Pay particular attention to the tightness of the spade lug fit. I like them to be snug, and if not, I'll gently compress them with needle-nose pliars. Be careful to brace the connection on the speaker as you're installing or removing spade lugs though - the fiberboard that the lugs are attached to isn't very strong and you can easily break it if you push hard enough. And I doubt Eminence would warranty broken fiberboard caused by pressing the connectors too hard.

My experience with Eminence is that they have exceptional quality control. I've never had to send back a single speaker due to acoustic problems. But if you find that one of your components is the problem, we'll sure be happy to warranty it for you. There's a first time for everything.

Re: Theater 4 problems [message #28970 is a reply to message #28969] Fri, 05 March 2004 19:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Baron
Thanks, Wayne. I guess I real reason for the above post was that I was angry with myself. I'm sure I'll figure it out with a little time and patients.

Re: Theater 4 problems [message #28971 is a reply to message #28968] Fri, 05 March 2004 19:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BillEpstein is currently offline  BillEpstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Strange the T-nut didn't come away from the wood with the torque you prolly used. That's good!
Putting some penetrating oil on the bolt and waiting a few minutes always works. 3 In 1 is good, gun shops sell better.Called "Break Free".
Even the most tenuous connection should drive the Delta. Maybe the speaker itself is bad. Voice coil came loose in shipping?
The casting that holds the g-nurled knobs is quite fragile. I broke mine and had to JBWeld it back on. That's what you have, right, knurled nut? Not a spade connector? Possibly the wire from there to the motor is loose?

I'm getting closer ... [message #28972 is a reply to message #28968] Sun, 07 March 2004 17:53 Go to previous message
Baron
All is well in the world. I got the stubborn bolt out by prying the T-nut out with a screw driver. I didn't even damage the wood too much. The problem with the Delta 15 is solved. I had to re-solder the wires to the binding post/terminal. Easy fix. Now, I have to replace a couple of T-nuts and machine screws, re-glue the R-13 to the bottom of one speaker cabinet and mount my speaker grills. Then I am finished. Until I try those audiophile caps, possibly an active crossover, rub some special audiophile ferry dust on the motors, ect.
Even though the cabinets aren't air tight at the moment, they sound pretty good so far. I can't wait until I am finished completely and both speakers are broken in. Ever so close ... .

Previous Topic: What I learned about speaker box assembly
Next Topic: What do you store your tools in?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 18 21:26:30 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio