Home » Audio » Craftsmen » Hot Melt Adhesives?
Hot Melt Adhesives? [message #28952] Fri, 27 February 2004 04:16 Go to next message
wunhuanglo is currently offline  wunhuanglo
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Anybody use them? Seems from looking into the interior of commercial speakers they're quite common. I understand the $99 Franklin polyurethane gun is a disaster on wheels. Any other alternatives?

Re: Hot Melt Adhesives? [message #28953 is a reply to message #28952] Fri, 27 February 2004 09:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bill Martinelli is currently offline  Bill Martinelli
Illuminati (1st Degree)

I use a commercial style hot melt gun for building crossover boards and holding down the components. Takes the 12" sticks. I dont see any point to the Franklin system unless you need some kind of weather resistant or water proof glueing system.

Yellow glue holds hardwoods and plywood stronger than at the joint than the wood itself.

MDF is only paper and you only have about .020 worth of bond and the paper breaks.

I'm saying if the joint you get with the glue is stronger than the material and it's compatible to withstand the environment (your living room) Then the simple glue's are good enough.

The one thin that could be exciting would be an "instant" bond. How much product is lost or wasted in the mixing tube of some of these systems could be a problem if you only need to apply a little every now and then

Bill

Bill

Re: Hot Melt Adhesives? [message #28955 is a reply to message #28953] Fri, 27 February 2004 16:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wunhuanglo is currently offline  wunhuanglo
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
"The one thin that could be exciting would be an "instant" bond"

EXACTLY. I'm thinking this could help with stuff that's just too difficult to clamp and make things go a lot faster.

Re: Hot Melt Adhesives? [message #28956 is a reply to message #28955] Fri, 27 February 2004 19:36 Go to previous message
Bill Martinelli is currently offline  Bill Martinelli
Illuminati (1st Degree)

From the instant bond aspect it looks VERY interesting. The cost of the glue is incredibly costly. The polyurethanes I have used are really great glue too. I stopped using them because the mess is a horror. I'm sorry but I refuse latex gloves for normal glue ups. Since this sets in as little a 30 seconds, maybe that problem is solved

Previous Topic: Birch/Maple ply for building
Next Topic: Jet Jointer clamps: they look effective but....
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 08:48:08 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio