Home » Audio » Craftsmen » Somebody motivate me
Somebody motivate me [message #28941] Thu, 12 February 2004 00:41 Go to next message
Adrian Mack is currently offline  Adrian Mack
Illuminati (1st Degree)

I wan't to finish my speakers but I can't be bothered with the finishing :P

I havn't worked on my towers in 2 weeks because I hate doing finishing. It sucks because I want to listen to them but I cant :P

Somebody motivate me!

"We shall taunt you a second time" [message #28942 is a reply to message #28941] Thu, 12 February 2004 01:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Did you ever see "Monte Python and the Holy Grail?"

If so, then when you're feeling lazy, just think of this quote:

"We shall taunt you a second time!"

Re: Somebody motivate me [message #28943 is a reply to message #28941] Thu, 12 February 2004 07:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dean Kukral is currently offline  Dean Kukral
Master
In the mid-to-late 80's I built a pair of Speakerlab SK's. These are a large folded corner horn copy of the Klipschorn, but with a cone midrange that is front-mounted. At first glance, not unlike the Audiophile seven pi.

I put on a first coat of polyurethane, but really wanted to hear what they sounded like, so I dragged them upstairs to listen to them, and they never returned to be finished.

They are not beautiful, nor are they ugly unless you look very closely at the finish - I am not all that skilled. They sit in the corners where you don't see them much.

So there they have sat for a decade and a half, with somewhat gloppy looking varnish on them. Need to be sanded and recoated or whatever.

I take little pride in their looks, but they sound very good.

So, if you do not care how they look nor do you take pride in their looks, just leave them where they are and listen to them.

But, if you give a damn how they look, don't be a turd like me, but drag your sorry-ass speakers back to the shop and finish them, you lazy sack of shit!! :)

Re: Somebody motivate me [message #28944 is a reply to message #28941] Thu, 12 February 2004 14:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bill Wassilak is currently offline  Bill Wassilak
Illuminati (1st Degree)
We'll if don't want to finish them you can always break out the can of semi-gloss or gloss black paint and have them done in a matter of 2hrs.:^)

I'm sure that would go over good with the WAF.haha
So get busy.

Bill w.

A drunk guy once told me .... [message #28945 is a reply to message #28941] Thu, 12 February 2004 15:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
newsjeff is currently offline  newsjeff
Baron
a friendly cabinet shop would charge you maybe $50 a sheet and just add them to their regular order.Maybe you offer to pay for cutting the panels and a case of Longnecks, ya' know? Yellow pages is full of little cabinet guys and liquor stores, too.

motivated [message #28946 is a reply to message #28941] Thu, 12 February 2004 16:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adrian Mack is currently offline  Adrian Mack
Illuminati (1st Degree)

haha, OK. Those are some very funny motivational words from you all! :P

I think you guys will taunt me forever if I don't get working! I guess I will feel a lot better after its done. Perhaps I'll pick up the liquor then as I don't think SUI is very good :P (staining under the influence).

Re: Somebody motivate me [message #28949 is a reply to message #28941] Mon, 16 February 2004 08:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rich is currently offline  Rich
Esquire
Maybe what you need is a simple finish that goes on easy and provides some protection. How about something like a oil finish? A salad bowl finish would look nice. Wipe it on, let it dry and you are done. Play with a bit of scrap and see what transpires.

r

Re: Somebody motivate me [message #28979 is a reply to message #28943] Thu, 18 March 2004 10:20 Go to previous message
Guy Bugbee is currently offline  Guy Bugbee
Esquire
Back in the mid-70's I built a pair of Speakerlab SK's, and I loved them. I would like to build another pair, but the plans have long been lost and I need to find a new set. Also what are good resources for speaker components?
I am considering using them as a L/R Fronts in a dedicated theater room. Of course we didn't have theaters back in the 70's, would they sound as good for a theater as I remember???

Previous Topic: What do you store your tools in?
Next Topic: Veneering tips for large boxes
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 01:12:50 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout