Home » Audio » Craftsmen » Birch/Maple ply for building
Birch/Maple ply for building [message #28939] Wed, 11 February 2004 21:17 Go to next message
lon is currently offline  lon
Illuminati (2nd Degree)

The Home Depot here has some new stuff (to me anyway) with
Birch on one side and Maple on the other.

My quiz of the kid on the floor as to how to tell the difference
left him scratching his head.

The ply edge is labelled 'birch up/maple down', so I asked the
kid can I assume that that's 'right reading' so when you can read
the lettering, it means up for birch and down for maple. This could get confusing once the piece was sliced up.

He guessed that was so.

I was wondering what sort of a material that would make
for alternating tops and sides and what a clear varnish would
turn up on the two types of wood.

The stuff is on deal for $30/sheet.

Re: Birch/Maple ply for building [message #28940 is a reply to message #28939] Wed, 11 February 2004 22:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
I don't know anything about woodworking, but wanted to point at the attractive two-tone finish on Jerrod's speakers.

Jerrod, Bill E. and Bill M. have done tons of this kind of stuff, so they can comment further.

Re: Birch/Maple ply for building [message #28947 is a reply to message #28939] Thu, 12 February 2004 19:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bill Martinelli is currently offline  Bill Martinelli
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Buy some. Its a good deal. It's not the absolute best there is in plywood but it's not 125.00 a sheat either. You wont go wrong and its a great deal to be had at that price. There are differences between maple and birch but I wouldnt think enough to enhance a two tone effect.

BIll

Re: Birch/Maple ply for building [message #28948 is a reply to message #28947] Thu, 12 February 2004 20:21 Go to previous message
BillEpstein is currently offline  BillEpstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
The birch side has more grain effect in an oval sort of pattern; the maple is a less distinct grain, more random and has black mineral streaks. Treat the maple as the "good" side when you cut as it is more fragile. More prone to chipping.
The AAPA grade is D/D. Like the other Bill says not that big a bargain but "A/B" costs $125!

Previous Topic: Tung oil and Polyutherane?
Next Topic: Hot Melt Adhesives?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 11:16:34 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout