Home » Audio » Craftsmen » Cherry Stain and Tung Oil on my Foreplay
Cherry Stain and Tung Oil on my Foreplay [message #28927] Thu, 22 January 2004 17:57 Go to next message
newsjeff is currently offline  newsjeff
Baron
I was hoping for some help in finishing my Foreplay base. I was wondering if anyone give me a few tips with using Cherry stain then applying Tung Oil. I would like to match my Foreplay with my cherry veneered Pi Theater 4 speakers. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Re: Cherry Stain and Tung Oil on my Foreplay [message #28928 is a reply to message #28927] Thu, 22 January 2004 19:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BillEpstein is currently offline  BillEpstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Hey Newsjeff,
The base is Pacific Alder, right? That's a semi hardwood that will prolly take stain fairly well. A good technique is to get some dye stain like Transtint that Woodcraft sells, mix it with water and use a plant spray bottle to get an even coverage. You may want to try an application of tung oil and then dye or even dye the tung oil. But it's linseed oil that's used for an undercoat in the trade, not tung. Oil based stains like Minwax are just too iffy and almost always give a blotchy look. Don't be seduced by using alcohol as a solvent for the dye, either. It's tough to get even coverage. Stick with water, more forgiving. Good article on this in Fine Woodworking July/August 2003 by Jeff Jewett.
See my website for more on dye stains and tung oil under the music stand pic, "Highlights":
Merry Pranks Website
There's also an exchange I had with Steve Culton on his Straight Eights in cherry veneer which will lead you thru some good stuff in the Bottlehead archives:

Hi, Bill [message #28929 is a reply to message #28928] Thu, 22 January 2004 20:27 Go to previous message
newsjeff is currently offline  newsjeff
Baron
My friend Bill, I was hoping you would reply. I've already hit your web site as well as your post with Steve Culton. I guess you read my mind.
As always, your help is invaluable. I am going to take your advise and use a dye stain from Woodcraft. I am looking at the TransFast Antique Cherry Powder. Do you think that will work? Then use the Tung Oil on top of that?
Maybe I should try this combination on the inside of the base first. Might not be a bad idea.
I guess I should use some finer grade sandpaper on the Alder before the stain. Maybe 220 grit? Should I sand again before the Tung Oil?b Hmm.

Previous Topic: Speaker Selection Switch
Next Topic: Speaker enclosure, Box Tuning
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Apr 24 03:50:45 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout