Home » Audio » Craftsmen » Another question on router gear
Another question on router gear [message #28908] Mon, 05 January 2004 23:26 Go to next message
lon is currently offline  lon
Illuminati (2nd Degree)

In the article below called Methods of work, Bill mentions
an 'upcut' router bit. I also saw the term in the current
issue of Workbench magazine. What is the significance of the
term 'upcut' for router bits?

thanks

Re: Another question on router gear [message #28909 is a reply to message #28908] Tue, 06 January 2004 09:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bill Martinelli is currently offline  Bill Martinelli
Illuminati (1st Degree)

An upcutting tool bit refers to the angle of the grind on the side flute. The up cutting bit pulls the chip load out of the cut as it turns. This is particularly good when making deeper cuts as the chips are pulled out of the cut instead of being packed in like a straight flute cutter. This may not be the best choice of cutter if you are routing delicate veneer though. This bit will want to pull the top layer away from the substrate and cause chips and splinters. For this a straight cutter or down cut may work better. On the other side of the coin. If you use a router table. Choosing an upcutting tool bit now pulls the work down against the table. You can then work with the delicate veneer on the top side and the cutter will then have less tearout. It can get confusing but you just have to think in terms of what is the best direction for the cutter to be forcing the tearout.
You can use standard 1/2" shank, two flute end mills as an upcutting router bit. available in high speed steel or solid carbide.

Bill

Re: Don't listen to Martinelli, upshear means,..... [message #28910 is a reply to message #28909] Tue, 06 January 2004 17:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BillEpstein is currently offline  BillEpstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
....the pitch of the cutting flutes pulls the waste out of the cut.
What's that? Ya say that's what he said? BUt what about that decalate veneerial stuff?
Okay. You only use an upshear for cutting grooves in wood that don't go all the way through the piece but travel the length. That's called a Dado. Unless the groove is for a tenon in which case it's called a mortise which is actually a stopped dado. But I digress.....
These are cutting actions as opposed to the trimming action Bill was referring to. Then you definitely want the downshear which lets the substrate support the edge of the veneer as you cut and prevents tearing of the decalate veneer.

Word: [Re: Don't listen to Martinelli,] [message #28911 is a reply to message #28910] Tue, 06 January 2004 21:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lon is currently offline  lon
Illuminati (2nd Degree)

This link talks about when to use upspirals and does mention
problems with veneer unless the router is table mounted.

So you are both right I guess. :-)

Veneerial stuff. I love it.

Re: waste not, ye have little time to do things twice [message #28912 is a reply to message #28911] Wed, 07 January 2004 18:35 Go to previous message
Bill Martinelli is currently offline  Bill Martinelli
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Hi Lon,

Always lots of cat's to skin and as many ways to trim. I always cut holes in the baffle or anywhere for that mater after the veneer is on the substrate. (always) That my choice because the last thing I want to do is, cut a hole in a panel, and then cut another hole in the panel in the same spot as the last hole! The precious venereal is less apt to chip, flake or cause some other communicable disgrace to your project if the stuff is locked down too. So That the only reason I wouldn't use an upshear cutter on good veneer. Because there is too much time invested at this point to pull of a flake and make repairs.
Even the best glue (urea resin) only glues the surface and it the veneer has enough figure you can lift a flake and still be glued down.

If your routing pockets. deep dodo, rabbits or other furry creatures the upshear cutter pulls the waste out of the kerf like a good Hoover. wait... that's what he said.

Bill

Previous Topic: Any advice on working with exotics?
Next Topic: Note to webmaster
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 18 19:07:55 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout