a jig saw to make his cutouts for thr Jordan in his
initial project (Schultz will be doing another feature for
aX some time int he future.)

My question here is: Is there a jig/jigsaw that can do
small circles accurately. Are there any special tips in attempting
to do this freehand?

Also would like to see a complete tutorial on the Jasper
jig from setup through to the finals cuts. I have seen stuff here
and there but not what one would call a step by step procedure.

I think Jasper should make a video. ;-)

lon@athenet.net in Appleton WI

Re: Fun with the Jasper Jig and Lawrence College [message #28903 is a reply to message #28902] Mon, 29 December 2003 16:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BillEpstein is currently offline  BillEpstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Yeah, Appleton! One of my drinking buddies at U of C got thrown out of Lawrence.
Really the Jasper is so easy that there's no reason to use a jig saw. I can't cut a proper circle with a jigsaw and that's important because the biggest hurdle we face is the fact that the friggin speaker manufacturers design there flanges as tho' we were using screws w/o t-nuts. Well we are using t-nuts you rat bastards!
Anyway, forget all the math that you see in the brochure. I did. Use a 1/4" double flute mortising bit, solid carbide if you can afford it and try to get an upshear bit.
With the 1/4" bit the holes in the jig will exactly correspond with the size you need. When in doubt cut a sixteenth bigger as the holes are generally smaller, not larger.
If you are using a driver for the first time I would recommend making a test cut out to see if you do have room for the fasteners at the size you select.
For small sizes that cause the pin to be under the router base be sure to drill the pivot hole deep enough to accept the length of the pin. Otherwise you'll be stuck with a spinning bit and the router wont sit on the workpiece.
I don't use a plunge router with it. My plunger is a Freund and the Jasper won't fit. I have the jig on my P-C 690 and there it stays.
If you're new to the router carefully drill a hole just inside the circumference that will accept the bit. Then you put the router flat and posiiton it before you hit the on switch. A better method that requires some practice and confidence and which is probbaly desparate ly UNSAFE is to pull the pin out far enough that the router bit will not touch the work but the pin will enter the hole. Turn it on and press down. This is not only faster but eliminates the need to drill a hole that may cause problems when you finish up the cut. Or be outside the circumference.
Please be careful, tho'. Best is a plunge router like the P-C 690 plunge base. The P-c and DeWalt 2 hp plungers a re krap. The Bosch is pretty good and the P-C Speedmatic is aces.
Okay, adjust the depth of cut so you miss going completely thru by the proverbial pubic hair. Further, make sure the pin goes thru the workpiece and on thru a scrap piece underneath. Both these steps will keep you from having a "keyhole" in the circle when you're done. The offf cut will still be attached by that p-hair; turn the workpiece over and you will see a gopher track from the point of the bit. Tap around the edges. The offcut will release more or less cleanly w/o tearout.
I need another beer.

Re: Fun with the Jasper Jig and Lawrence College [message #28904 is a reply to message #28903] Mon, 29 December 2003 22:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lon is currently offline  lon
Illuminati (2nd Degree)

Yay Appleton. We love it here. :-p Only people that love it
are the Lawrence students who are getting away I betcha.

These are good tips... for somebody with a shop.

I am trying to figure out methods of work sort of like
Bob Brines who does excellent builds and lives in an apartment.

The shop mate is a necessity for this. And I was considering
making a work table with a closed bottom and attach a vac to
collect sawdust. The router makes a lot of dust and, to add to
the brew, I am asthmatic. So I thought a cheap jigsaw plus
the vacuum box would draw the dust down and contain same rather
than getting airborne.

Maybe I should jingle up the rec.woodworking dudes again.

Anyway I am enjoying the new forum here.

Re: Fun with the Jasper Jig and Lawrence College [message #28905 is a reply to message #28904] Tue, 30 December 2003 05:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BillEpstein is currently offline  BillEpstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
The answer to the asthma is the link below. The answer to the apartment is wotk out on the patio or parking lot for the messy stuff. I do. Or get good at cutting circles with the jigsaw.

Re: Fun with the Jasper Jig and Lawrence College [message #28906 is a reply to message #28905] Tue, 30 December 2003 14:29 Go to previous message
lon is currently offline  lon
Illuminati (2nd Degree)

I saw these in Finewoodworking:

Previous Topic: Show and tell
Next Topic: Any advice on working with exotics?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 01:13:52 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio