Home » Audio » Craftsmen » What's everyone have on your Christmas list?
What's everyone have on your Christmas list? [message #28860] Sun, 14 December 2003 21:17 Go to next message
Bill Martinelli is currently offline  Bill Martinelli
Illuminati (1st Degree)

Said another way. What are you going to go get yourself for the holidays that no one else is going to get you !

Bill

Re: What's everyone have on your Christmas list? [message #28861 is a reply to message #28860] Mon, 15 December 2003 02:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
I ordered a Seduction phono preamp kit, and it may be on its way around Christmas time. I ordered it a month or six weeks ago, right after buying Jerrod Harden's Foreplay preamp. So those are my Christmas goodies.

What about you?

Re: What's everyone have on your Christmas list? [message #28862 is a reply to message #28861] Mon, 15 December 2003 21:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (1st Degree)

I'm hoping to put a lower ceiling in the shop along with more insulation over the christmas break. It's a pain to do by myself so I keep putting it off!

You'll have to let me know how that seduction works out. I need a phono preamp.

Re: What's everyone have on your Christmas list? [message #28863 is a reply to message #28861] Mon, 15 December 2003 21:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jlharden is currently offline  jlharden
Viscount
Hi Wayne and Bill!
Found my way over here! Have you had a chance to try the Foreplay with the Paramours yet Wayne? I'm interested to hear how it works for you. I have the same constant, non volume pot dependent hum with my Ella as I had with the Foreplay, starting to think it could be something in the house wiring or around the house. Never had noise with the Foreplay at the old house.... Jerrod

Re: What's everyone have on your Christmas list? [message #28864 is a reply to message #28862] Mon, 15 December 2003 22:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Wow! That's a big job! Why do you need this lower ceiling? Is it for temperature control, i.e. better insulation?

About the Seduction, I'll be sure to let you know. I made sure to order the C4S kits too, so it should be as hum-free as possible.

Re: What's everyone have on your Christmas list? [message #28865 is a reply to message #28863] Mon, 15 December 2003 22:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Hi Jerrod!

I'm sorry I didn't write to you! I'm surprised that I didn't, actually. I meant to, and thought I did. But I guess that shows what "good intentions" by themselves are worth.

I received your preamp, in great shape. I got a free T-shirt too! I think maybe you sent it for packing material, but I use it to change oil and futz around in. So that made me smile, and I meant to write and tell you about it.

The preamp sounds fine. It's a pretty good unit. You did a great job wiring it up, and I like the base you built. Honestly, I expected that I would want to retouch some of the solder joints, maybe rewire in a few places. But I had mis-assessed you. Your work was splendid.

So I've just been enjoying the preamp. It is a great little unit. Once I get the Seduction phono stage, I'll have a system that's tubes from pickup-coil to voice-coil.

Wayne

Re: What's everyone have on your Christmas list? [message #28866 is a reply to message #28864] Mon, 15 December 2003 23:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (1st Degree)

Yeah, same old up north crap. less heit, more insulation, new heating unit, yada yada. right now i dont have anything for a ceiling so I dont keep the heat on all the time. That's really a bad thing so it's getting time to step up.

Re: What's everyone have on your Christmas list? [message #28867 is a reply to message #28865] Tue, 16 December 2003 21:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jlharden is currently offline  jlharden
Viscount
Hi Wayne,

Thanks for the complement on the amp. I felt like I did an adequate job assembling it, but couldn't kick that last bit of noise. Now that I'm fighting the same exact issue with another similar, simple circuit I'm questioning the source of the hum. Noise is a frustrating thing! I forgot about the free tee shirt offer with a used Foreplay preamp promotion. Seriously though....I'm missing a few tee shirts, what did it look like? ;) Was it a midget sprint car shirt? I've used a few of those for packaging. I'm glad you are having fun with the preamp and the shirt! Jerrod

Re: What's everyone have on your Christmas list? [message #28868 is a reply to message #28867] Tue, 16 December 2003 22:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Yep - The shirt was for "Esworthy Racing."

Re: Have you seen Zarniwoops.......... [message #28870 is a reply to message #28867] Wed, 17 December 2003 17:59 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
BillEpstein is currently offline  BillEpstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
......post that says he grounded the knob(!) of the Alps pot. Or perhaps you need a $450 Beech knob:) Another possibility is those Holland Tunnel speaker posts. I discovered that one of the grounds from the output board was just sitting inside one, not really soldered. I nearly drilled holes in'm to make a mechanical connection, Hate using solder as glue. Keep trying. Love my Ella.

Previous Topic: I get to be first at something!
Next Topic: Lacquer Finish, a few ideas to get you started
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 02:52:19 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout