Home » Audio » Home Theater » Video Toaster
Video Toaster [message #28791] Mon, 08 December 2003 15:25 Go to next message
Wayne Parham is currently online  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Anybody out there still running a NewTek Video Toaster? What's the cool video editor platform to have these days?

Re: Video Toaster [message #28794 is a reply to message #28791] Mon, 26 January 2004 11:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
footsurg is currently offline  footsurg
Chancellor
The best I have seen for editing video is Final Cut Pro version 4 on the PowerMac G5. All of these new Macs have the firewire IEEE 1394 800 megabit per second input busses. These things relly scream. Sporting Dual processors and high bandwidth busses the opportunity for the DV data to bottleneck is greatly reduced. The Final Cut software is very versatile and is being used by a large number of movies houses and effects houses (ILM) for batch and pre-press editing. This stuff is the best that I've seen, but I am not in the business so there is probably other stuff out there equally good that I have not seen or used. Just my 2 cents.

Re: Video Toaster [message #28795 is a reply to message #28794] Mon, 26 January 2004 22:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently online  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
This is the field where I've seen the most advances in the last decade. Everyone has noticed changes in their desktop computers too, but when you're running word processors and spreadsheets, differences are harder to see. The graphics in games is better, but I'm not sure that people recognize the correlation between machine performance and graphics. It is probably seen as an evolution, and that's about it.

But when doing video editing, rendering and processing, you really notice these things. I can remember doing ray traces in the early nineties, when there was no PC available that could do a photo-realistic 15-second animation in anything short of a week. That's even giving them the benefit of the doubt - I can recall doing some quick artithmatic and realizing that a 486-50 would have taken something like 200 days to do a brief animation I was working on. Even Macintosh's and Amiga's were slow for this kind of work. But I had a parallel processing network that I used as a rendering engine, so I could "crank 'em out" in a relatively short span of a few days.

These kinds of video systems are really exciting to me. It's been a long time since working with a new technology sparked me like that one did.

Re: Video Toaster [message #28798 is a reply to message #28795] Tue, 27 January 2004 15:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
footsurg is currently offline  footsurg
Chancellor
Wayne,

I am with you in being really excited about the new technology. Some of the newer dual processor units out there hold 4 Gigs of ram, are based on 64 bit architecture and can process in the 8 Gigaflop range. With Maya 4, huge and I mean huge animations can be rendered at 30 fps with sophisticated skins in a matter of hours. Certainly not your 486-50!!!

Re: Video Toaster [message #28827 is a reply to message #28798] Mon, 16 April 2007 10:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ricardo is currently offline  Ricardo
Viscount
I find this thread interesting, but I'm not really up to speed with all the things you're mentioning.

Does Pinnacle make an editing product that would be in the same general league as Final Cut Pro?

I have an older version of Studio 8 that I've messed around with.

Re: Video Toaster [message #28833 is a reply to message #28827] Sat, 20 October 2007 23:06 Go to previous message
Crystal is currently offline  Crystal
Viscount
Try installing final cut pro and testing it out for yourself. Thats what I do when I need to know what program is better. Some programs usually have a trial versions if you have to pay for programs.

Crystal

Previous Topic: tvs that hook to your computer
Next Topic: PVR hard disk recorders
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon May 06 08:26:41 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers