Home » Audio » Home Theater » Cinemode, Progressive and Interlaced. What's the difference?
Cinemode, Progressive and Interlaced. What's the difference? [message #28723] Sun, 05 September 2004 14:58 Go to next message
Neutron is currently offline  Neutron
Esquire
I have 3 picture modes that I do not understand. I know what progressive and interlaced means but I don't know what cinemode is. Besides, changing between them doesn't seem to make any difference. What do I use them for? Why doesn't the television automatically adjust itself for the best/right mode?

Re: Cinemode, Progressive and Interlaced. What's the difference? [message #28724 is a reply to message #28723] Sun, 05 September 2004 16:42 Go to previous message
BLS is currently offline  BLS
Esquire
Here are screen shots that illustrate the differences between Interlaced and CineMotion or Progressive DRC. Although the screen shots are a comparison between a progressive scan DVD player and an interlaced DVD player, the differences are similar to what you would find between CineMotion DRC and Interlaced DRC modes on your television.

Progressive Scan (CineMotion is similar)

Interlaced Scan

Both images are from the beginning of chapter 29 of the movie Se7en. You will notice that the first image is a lot smoother, especially the diagonal lines of the building. This is what CineMotion DRC will do, albeit not as smoothly as a true progressive scan DVD player. CineMotion is a format between interlaced and progressive, but closer to interlaced in quality.

By the way, CineMotion will work regardless of type of connection, whether it be composite, S-Video or component.

Note: The images above were taken while the movie was playing. When comparing CineMotion DRC to Interlaced DRC, it's important to toggle back and forth between the two modes while the movie is playing. If you pause the player, you will not notice anything different.

I would suggest using CineMotion DRC for film-based material such as movies on DVD. Use Interlaced DRC for video-based material like cable or satellite TV. Use Progressive DRC for digital material and still images.

Previous Topic: scanlines
Next Topic: Philips Plasma Review
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed May 15 04:33:47 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout