Home » Audio » Home Theater » scanlines
scanlines [message #28719] Sun, 22 August 2004 18:09 Go to next message
Robert Henderson is currently offline  Robert Henderson
Esquire
What is the definition of scanlines? Is there a standard? I was told that standard broadcast television has a defined number of lines top to bottom but side to side wasn't actually defined. It is set by film, broadcast and receiver quality and that's why some things are crisp and others are fuzzy. I know computer monitors have a set resolution but I am wondering about TV. What is the broadcast standard, and what is it for HDTV? Robert

Re: scanlines [message #28721 is a reply to message #28719] Mon, 23 August 2004 21:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BLS is currently offline  BLS
Esquire
The standard for NTSC is 525 scan lines, 480 of them being visible. They are interlaced, meaing that every other one is visible on each frame. You are correct that each scan line has variable resolution because it is analog. There isn't a pixel defined in NTSC, this has come about from the digital revolution. However, there is a broadcast bandwith limitation that caps the maximum NTSC resolution to about 640 x 480 and it can only approach this, rarely able to achieve this.

HDTV is capable of up to 1920 x 1080 resolution, which is 8 to 10 times higher than NTSC. This is an interlaced format, so every other line is displayed for each frame. HDTV broadcasters can also choose from two other progressive scanline formats, meaning each scanline is displayed for each frame. HDTV broadcasts can be done in 480 or 720 progressive lines. A progressive 480 line image is much sharper than an NTSC broadcast, but it is not considred to be "true" HDTV. Progressive 720 has 720 horizontal scan lines and is considered to be true HDTV. 720p can many times rival a 1080i picture, which is 1080 horizontal scan lines displayed as an interlaced image. This is because of the sharper, and more accurate picture 720p displays, even though 1080i has many more scan lines and a much higher resolution.

Re: scanlines [message #28722 is a reply to message #28721] Sun, 05 September 2004 13:25 Go to previous message
A/V Guru is currently offline  A/V Guru
Esquire
Here is a good explaination of what you're talking about, with pictures to demonstrate it.

Previous Topic: A/V switcher
Next Topic: Cinemode, Progressive and Interlaced. What's the difference?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed May 15 18:54:26 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio