Home » Audio » Home Theater » Expensive vs. Cheap
Expensive vs. Cheap [message #28663] Thu, 21 June 2007 03:45 Go to next message
shinningstar is currently offline  shinningstar
Viscount
What do you prefer to buy? Expensive or the cheaper home theatre? I bought a home theatre on Ebay. It's cheap but with a good quality. How about you?

Re: Expensive vs. Cheap [message #28674 is a reply to message #28663] Fri, 14 September 2007 05:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ricardo is currently offline  Ricardo
Viscount
I'm not quite in the market for a home theatre system, but I notice prices that are pretty low. I think I'll test the more modestly priced systems first.

A friend of mine has a pricey system, including gold-plated connectors on his cables which were pricey themselves. I realize that a system's only as good as its weakest component, but is it really necessary for gold-plated plugs in a home system?

Re: Expensive vs. Cheap [message #28678 is a reply to message #28674] Mon, 08 October 2007 01:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I've seen some excesses in audio that were probably pointless, but gold on contacts is a good choice. Gold doesn't oxidize like other conductors, so it makes a better contact material. It's actually used in a lot of electronic equipment, from computers to hifi and everything in between. Pretty much everything but the cheapest gear uses gold plating on conductors that contact one another by mechanical connection, i.e. edge connectors, plugs, etc.

Re: Expensive vs. Cheap [message #63521 is a reply to message #28663] Sun, 25 July 2010 15:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jesstasy is currently offline  jesstasy
Esquire
You get what you pay for. This is why it is important to read reviews on products before making high end purchases. At times, you can find quality products at reasonable prices. But for the most part I have found that when something is cheaper in price it is also cheaper in quality. This is not to say that expensive things are superior. There have been times I have bought things and wasted my money. This is why it is imperative to read reviews and also to comparison shop!

Re: Expensive vs. Cheap [message #63525 is a reply to message #63521] Sun, 25 July 2010 19:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JiminyCricket is currently offline  JiminyCricket
Baron
jesstasy wrote on Sun, 25 July 2010 15:11
You get what you pay for. This is why it is important to read reviews on products before making high end purchases. At times, you can find quality products at reasonable prices. But for the most part I have found that when something is cheaper in price it is also cheaper in quality. This is not to say that expensive things are superior. There have been times I have bought things and wasted my money. This is why it is imperative to read reviews and also to comparison shop!

I agree and would add that always going for the lowest end product can leave you wanting to upgrade sooner anyhow, so it's false economy in the end.
Re: Expensive vs. Cheap [message #63557 is a reply to message #63525] Thu, 29 July 2010 01:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rockhound is currently offline  rockhound
Chancellor
I would go with a top quality receiver since this is the heart of the system and at least two good speakers for your music. To me the music quality is much more important than the movie sound.
Re: Expensive vs. Cheap [message #63606 is a reply to message #28663] Sun, 01 August 2010 22:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adveser is currently offline  Adveser
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Stereo only for me. A well set up stereo can duplicate rear speakers and obviously there is no bass loss with decent loudspeakers.

Yes, even stereo music should be completely three dimensional with music coming from all sides. The first time I did it "right" I was shocked that cymbals were coming from the rear corner of the room.

Re: Expensive vs. Cheap [message #63745 is a reply to message #63606] Sat, 07 August 2010 11:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Frontrowticket is currently offline  Frontrowticket
Chancellor
Good advice all over this thread, cheers! I am all set to read around and find some good reviews. It is too easy to waste money on cheap end products thinking you have a bargain, then get bitten as you want to upgrade soon after.
Re: Expensive vs. Cheap [message #63872 is a reply to message #28663] Thu, 19 August 2010 11:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
addictedtosound is currently offline  addictedtosound
Chancellor
I find that expensive does not normally equate to quality. I've heard some unknown brands and they sound brilliant. Then again I am easily pleased.
Re: Expensive vs. Cheap [message #64060 is a reply to message #28663] Mon, 20 September 2010 10:52 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Danny is currently offline  Danny
Master
It's all in the research. I suppose you could find a good deal on Ebay - just make sure the seller has lots of good feedback, and read the description! Make sure it is exactly what you want! You are the only one to blame if you "assume" you are getting something that the seller did not offer.
Previous Topic: PS3 or Blu-Ray Player
Next Topic: Projector or Big Screen TV
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Apr 28 21:06:49 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout