Home » Audio » Home Theater » Home Theater in a Box
Home Theater in a Box [message #28558] Thu, 13 July 2006 21:19 Go to next message
sub-zero is currently offline  sub-zero
Chancellor
Here are some benefits:

First: Home theater-in-a-box systems are reasonably priced. Complete systems start as low as $200, but can go as high $2,000 or more. You will find these home theater systems at just about any consumer electronics retailer, including Best Buy, Circuit City, and even Wal-Mart.

Second: Home theater-in-a-box systems contain most (or all) of the components needed for a basic Home Theater system, including all speakers, a surround sound receiver, in most cases a DVD/CD player or, in some cases, even a VCR and/or DVD Recorder.

Third: Home theater-in-a-box systems are compact. These systems are designed so as not to overwhelm a room. The central DVD/Receiver units are sometimes not much larger than a DVD player, although some systems do include separate DVD player/Receiver components. However, the speakers that are included are very compact, the five or six satellite speakers are small enough to be mounted unobtrusively in room corners or shelves. Even the included subwoofer is usually of very compact design so as can be placed easily in a corner or next to a chair or table without attracting attention - except the deep bass sound it generates.

Fourth: A home theater-in-box is easy to install and use; most all the connection cables are provided. All you need is a TV with AV inputs and Audio outputs, A HiFi VCR, and/or DVD Player (if one is not supplied), and you are set and ready to go. No special skills are required, just the ability to read simple instructions and diagrams. Also, most systems come with a remote control that is used for all the functions of the system.

Re: Home Theater in a Box [message #28559 is a reply to message #28558] Fri, 14 July 2006 08:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Have you ever seen one with any kind of decent quality?

Re: Home Theater in a Box [message #28560 is a reply to message #28559] Fri, 14 July 2006 18:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chancellor
THe Kenwood system that I saw a couple of years ago was pretty nice. It had a 100 watt sub and a decent center channel. I consider it to be a good starter package that you can upgrade 1 piece at a time later.

Re: Home Theater in a Box [message #28561 is a reply to message #28560] Tue, 18 July 2006 11:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I see, cool. That's good to know.

Re: Home Theater in a Box [message #28562 is a reply to message #28559] Thu, 20 July 2006 07:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GarMan is currently offline  GarMan
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Quality is relative, and when your baseline for comparison is the amplifier and speakers that are built into your TV (as it is for vast majority of users), HT-in-box sound amazing.

Re: Home Theater in a Box [message #28563 is a reply to message #28562] Thu, 20 July 2006 08:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Good point.

Re: Home Theater in a Box [message #28564 is a reply to message #28558] Sat, 22 July 2006 20:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mollecon is currently offline  mollecon
Master
While such system will never get close to 'high end', they can be improved considerably by using better speakers. Those 'unobtrusive' ones usually sounds awfull

Re: Home Theater in a Box [message #28565 is a reply to message #28563] Tue, 25 July 2006 23:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chancellor
I found this site to be a good resource...

Re: Home Theater in a Box [message #28571 is a reply to message #28564] Wed, 02 August 2006 17:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
telegraph.hill is currently offline  telegraph.hill
Viscount
Yes - I was just thinking, these are not exactly high end, especially the ones from Walmart. But if you want something cheap and functional, they are probably ok. I would definitely go for the slightly better speakers though.

Re: Home Theater in a Box [message #28573 is a reply to message #28561] Sat, 05 August 2006 20:00 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
matefork is currently offline  matefork
Viscount
Well, I don't know if this is the one but I bought a HT six years ago - PHILIPS FW-V795 VCD Mini HiFi System 7600 watts PMPO. It's spreakers are very loud and powerful. I didn't use it too often. It disturbs the neighbors.

Previous Topic: Projector tv lifespan
Next Topic: New Home Theater receiver.
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Apr 29 05:31:06 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout