Home » Audio » Home Theater » Are Alnico speakers shielded?
Are Alnico speakers shielded? [message #28523] Tue, 29 November 2005 07:44 Go to next message
MWG is currently offline  MWG
Grand Master
Someone said that speakers with AlNico magnets are in essence sheilded. Is this the case? I have a pair of Altec Valencias I want to use in a El Cheapo HT setup. The TV when I get one will be about 1' above and 3' away from the speakers. I'm not a big movie watcher but I bought this copy of Bullit to hear the car chase scene through my Altecs. Just to hear if it's close to the old theatre I first saw the movie in. Without the gum on the armrests of course

Re: Are Alnico speakers shielded? [message #28524 is a reply to message #28523] Tue, 29 November 2005 09:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Old speakers with alnico magnets generate less leakage flux than more modern ferrite structures, but this is largely due to the geometry and strength of the magnetic structure, and not necessarily the material used. You can pot a high-leakage magnetic structure with mu metal to shield it.

Re: Are Alnico speakers shielded? [message #28525 is a reply to message #28524] Tue, 29 November 2005 21:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
MWG is currently offline  MWG
Grand Master
Thank you for the response Wayne. Now I'm not so worried about setting up my little Ht deal.

Re: Are Alnico speakers shielded? [message #28533 is a reply to message #28525] Sat, 18 February 2006 18:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mollecon is currently offline  mollecon
Master
I think it should be mentioned, that neodium (wrong spelling, I know ) magnets usually are 'naturally shielded' much the same way as Alnicos are.

Neodymium drivers - some are shielded, but some aren't [message #28542 is a reply to message #28533] Sun, 12 March 2006 21:10 Go to previous message
Duke is currently offline  Duke
Grand Master
I have several Neodymium drivers - woofers, midranges, compression drivers. My Neo prosound & home audio woofers and home audio midranges are shielded, but the Neo compression drivers (from two different manufacturers) definitely are not.

Previous Topic: 'way down deep' Article
Next Topic: Any Far East companies selling a vacuum tube surround system yet?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue May 14 11:43:55 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio