Home » Audio » Home Theater » in-wall volume control 1 input into 2 speakers
in-wall volume control 1 input into 2 speakers [message #28509] Sat, 23 July 2005 23:42 Go to next message
Bpb Baker is currently offline  Bpb Baker
Esquire
I recently built and new home and was able to have it pre-wired for multiroom speakers and have the speakers installed at the time. Now that I am hooking up the receiver and multiroom amp up, I have noticed that one of the cables run out to one of the outside speakers is not conducting signal. I have checked the cable going from the in-wall volume know to the speaker and it is working.

Can I run 1 input into 2 speakers? I realized I will only be getting one channel and that, I believe the resistance will drop from 8 ohms (which is the impedance of each outside speaker) to 4 ohms. Should I use an impedance matching volume control?

I do not want to tear up any of the new walls/carpet and I don't have time to do anything else. I realize this is just a stop-gap solution but can I do it?

Thanks,

Bob Baker

Re: in-wall volume control 1 input into 2 speakers [message #28510 is a reply to message #28509] Sun, 24 July 2005 10:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Sure, you can wire two speakers on one line. Just about everything made for 8 ohms can handle 4, so you'll be alright. The worst part is the hack it will be, not cool for a new home. So I'd probably spend some time looking at the wiring and see if you can't find out where things went wrong. But wire it up two-on-one for now and that'll get you going.

Re: in-wall volume control 1 input into 2 speakers [message #28511 is a reply to message #28510] Sun, 24 July 2005 14:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bpb Baker is currently offline  Bpb Baker
Esquire
Thanks. The problem is definitely the cable from the wall unit to the outside box. My guess is that it got damaged by a staple of something. I know kick myself for not checking before the walls were finished but since all the cable is monster-type, I just did not think it would be a problem. If you have any other solutions, I would appreciate it.

Bob Baker

Re: in-wall volume control 1 input into 2 speakers [message #28512 is a reply to message #28511] Sun, 24 July 2005 15:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Investigate it just a little bit more when you have some extra time. If you're lucky, maybe the damage isn't as hard to repair as you think. Maybe the connection is bad at the wall plates, or near the end where you can get to it.

Check to see if the lines are shorted together with an ohmmeter. Then jumper one end and go to the other and check for continuity. This will tell you what kind of problem you are having.

If a staple went through, I would expect a short across the pair, not an open in one or both lines. It could cut through both conductors, shorting them together. But I doubt a staple would have cut the wire in half. If the line is open, I supose someone might have cut it with a saw or something. Maybe a finish carpenter cut clear through. But maybe the line was moved around enough while people were working that a connection broke loose. So I'd check the ends.

Builder warranty? [message #28513 is a reply to message #28511] Sun, 24 July 2005 23:39 Go to previous message
colinhester is currently offline  colinhester
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Does the builder's warranty not cover this?....Colin

Previous Topic: speaker cable length for HT
Next Topic: A couple of general Home Theater questions if I may...
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon May 13 18:57:19 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio